Director, Enterprise Sustainability & ESG Reporting
- Lads the Company’s enterprise sustainability and ESG (environmental, social, governance) reporting, including the development and implementation of Company-wide ESG and sustainability initiatives, and ensure compliance and executes communications for a wide range of internal and external audiences.
- This role is critical to the Company’s principles including positively impacting people and the planet and responsible for tracking ESG metrics under an ESG reporting framework through coordination with field management, HR, and Finance using the existing SASB framework.
- Works collaboratively across the organization, domestically and internationally.
- Responsible for contributing to the development and execution of a cohesive enterprise sustainability program, collection, and creation of key ESG reporting data, recognition, and a communications strategy by engaging cross-functional teams. The strategy must effectively communicate Ethan Allen’s mission, values, and principles to internal and external audiences and in conformance with targeted third-party indices and reporting frameworks.
- Requires an experienced and detail-oriented sustainability professional who can function independently with diverse stakeholders and manage through influence across levels and functions.
- Requires an individual who operates with a sense of urgency and a consistent awareness of deadlines and results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting and Recognition
- Manage development of annual sustainability report in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting and Standards Board (SASB) and Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). Establish timeline and process for developing the report in timely fashion and enhancing the report each year to drive toward industry-leading sustainability.
- Manage, track and update key performance indicators (KPIs) relevant to internal targets and public goals and ensure timely and accurate data capture. Collaborate with functions and subject matter experts (SMEs) throughout the Company including communications, investor relations, diversity, environmental, community relations, logistics, manufacturing plants and other facilities, supply chain and others.
- Directs and coordinates audits, inspections, risk assessments and due diligence to assure conformity with company policies, as well as international, federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations governing environmental health and safety.
- Build and maintain a repository of stories, proof-points, and other information throughout the year, ensure accuracy and verification of content, for inclusion in internal and external channels such as annual sustainability report.
- Engage and lead management of in-house and third-party contractors to drive effective execution of sustainability report including greenhouse gas data collection, reporting writing, editing and design.
- Coordinate with SMEs and complete submission of responses to reporting frameworks including but not limited to ISS ESG, Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project - Climate, Supply Chain and Forestry) and EcoVadis.
- Identify, prioritize, and manage additional questionnaires and surveys requested by NGOs (non-governmental organizations), current and prospective clients, suppliers, investors, and other key stakeholders.
- Organize and maintain a content library, including design files for internal and external communications.
- Coordinate with SMEs responsible for providing data from existing software systems, and ensure continuous improvement of enhanced, streamlined tools for data collection.
- Work with internal company auditors to periodically audit the accuracy of information and the processes by which information is collected, maintained, and verified within Ethan Allen. Continuously review and improve metrics management in accordance with evolving standards and leading practices.
- Work with Legal in preparing responses to government inquiries and ensuring OSHA compliance.
- Work with Human Resources and Legal on safety-related issues, including monitoring and managing Worker’s Compensation claims.
- Work with Lockton and/or other insurance agencies on facility inspections and loss prevention initiatives.
- Maintain industry benchmarking and trends. Identify innovative approaches to sustainability/ESG reporting, including collection and publication of metrics, proof-points, narrative content and integrated reporting, and approaches to enhance authenticity and creativity.
- Stay current with climate change disclosure requirements and assist CFO in required disclosures in public filings.
- Serve as subject matter expert on third party reporting guidance including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting and Standards Board (SASB), Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project - Climate, Supply Chain and Forestry), Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), ESG research providers including MSCI, ISS, Sustainalytics and Vigeo, as well as global frameworks standards such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) and International Labor Organization guidelines.
- Serve as a main point of contact for sustainability metrics and reporting, working in collaboration with corporate communications, investor relations, lines of business (LOB), diversity, environmental sustainability, community relations, supply chain and others.
- Travel to various company locations to lead audits and inspections, to provide train the trainer and one on one training, and to participate in conferences relating to ESG.
- Coordinate with the company’s Legal Department to respond to environmental inquiries and all related legal matters
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned.
- Provide input on Ethan Allen’s internal and external sustainability communications strategy and provide SME on content development and deployment.
- In collaboration with corporate communications, global sales, investor relations, marketing, and other teams, develop, review, and edit collateral materials including brochures, presentations, case studies and other content for communication of sustainability report to internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate communications efforts across multiple channels including LOB, client, marketing, social media, and growth on integrating sustainability reporting across channels including corporate website and digital platforms - internally and externally.
- Create compelling, evidence-based, written, and visual summaries of sustainability performance for both internal and external audiences, including dashboards, scorecards, infographics, PPTs and reports
- Align all communications with overarching enterprise purpose and ensure persuasive messaging that demonstrates the company’s purpose, values, and progress.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Candidates must have at least ten (10) years of experience working in a corporate, agency or non-profit environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required, in sustainability or related field, knowledge of environmental health and safety experience preferred.
- Relevant previous experience required.
- Track record of developing and delivering qualitative and quantitative sustainability and ESG (environmental, social, governance) reporting.
- Technical knowledge and experience in sustainability reporting and with relevant ESG standards; familiarity with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting and Standards (SASB), Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) and/or CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs), is preferred.
- Experience managing consistent and accurate data collection, leveraging IT solutions as applicable.
- Proven ability to read, analyze, interpret, and translate large sets of data into simple insights or reports.
- Excellent project management and strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability to balance multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Analytic thinker and ability to problem-solve including evaluation and identification of solutions.
- Proven ability to inspire, collaborate and manage internal relationships, and cultivate partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience influencing without formal authority to accomplish company-wide goals.
- Experienced individual contributor, able to work independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate exemplary personal judgment given sensitive content.
- Ability to inspire the trust, confidence and respect of subordinates, colleagues, and senior leaders.