Director, Editorial Content
ShutterstockNew York City, NY5 days ago
In this new role, we’re looking for a dynamic leader who has a robust rolodex and loves to collaborate with photographers, videographers, picture editors, assignment managers, and event planners to drive excellence within our Editorial Business Unit. You are someone who is results driven and thrives in an innovative high-energy environment. As Director of Editorial Content, this role will report into the VP, Editorial. The person will think strategically and apply expert judgment on the scope of managing existing, and recruiting new photographers and videographers that will drive value for our global market and clients.
What you’ll do:
- Manage Editorial Photography and Assignment teams globally
- Set and manage the strategy as it relates to event and content gaps and identify business opportunities for strategic growth and revenue
- Participation in key customer and/or partner meetings
- Work closely with the VP, Editorial to establish and execute a contributor strategy on Entertainment, News, Sports and Business coverage and assignments
- Enhance existing, and build relationships with event organizers, publicists, communication directors, campaign managers, and strategic partners to secure event access, build brand awareness, generate assignments and exclusive coverage opportunities.
- Identify and establish strategic KPI’s to measure success across photography / videography and all events
- Work with Assignment Managers to assign photographers / videographers / editors and set coverage direction and prioritization for entertainment events with consideration for our marketplace, customers, clients and deadlines.
- Work with Director, Editorial Business Operations to ensure Assignment and Photography departments are collaborating, working effectively and efficiently to be the best in class Editorial operation
- Work with Sr. Manager, Editorial Photography to build and manage a strong team of staff and freelance photographers / videographers that meet our editorial and live assignment standards and align with our business goals
- Establish strategic, specific KPI’s for all staff and key photographers / videographers
- Establish standards by which we measure our royalty based and freelance contributors ensuring performance
- Within our network of contributors, establish strengths around editorial v. live assignment contributors, ensuring we are adequately staffed for both initiatives
- Lead the photographer team to use insightful judgment to shoot and select the most impactful photographs / videos ensuring that relevant aspects of a story are covered.
- Identify opportunities for coverage improvement and coach photographers / videographers on editorial style and equipment use.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert in Photography coaching our photographer / videographer network on equipment, updates, etc.
- Maintain full awareness and interest in U.S. and global entertainment events, news, sports, trends, fashion, and celebrities.
What you’ll bring:
- Hands-On: You should love rolling up your sleeves and working alongside the team.
- Domain expertise and passionate enthusiasm for entertainment and celebrity media.
- Existing relationships and easy alliance with photographers / videographers and event planners.
- Strong bias for action; ability to manage multiple (and competing) priorities and deadlines while operating in a lean work environment.
- Easy ability to discern and train others on quality content and market value.
- 5+ years of professional photography experience.
- Engaging personality with exceptional leadership, communication, networking and persuasion skills.
- Available to work non-traditional schedules including evenings and weekends
- Software: Photo Mechanic, Adobe, Excel, Google Docs, and file sharing systems. Camera equipment.
- B.S., B.A., A.S.
- Travel: 25%