Director, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for a Director, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI).
The Role – Director, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI Director)
We have made significant progress over the past several years building diverse teams with an inclusive culture yet we acknowledge much more work needs to be done. Reporting to our General Counsel & Chief Diversity Officer, the DEI Director will focus on advancing SoundCloud’s DEI efforts in deep partnership with our Executive Team. This role will build, refine, and drive the development of an integrated DEI strategy that is globally relevant and cross-functionally (Music Team, Artists, Fans, Engineering, Marketing, Communications, People) aligned to business outcomes.
As the lead expert on our DEI Team, you will supervise two (2) managers of DEI – in Los Angeles and in Berlin – and, together as a team, respond to external events and/or policies that affect our employees, company, and communities of artists and fans. We need a leader who’s driven to solve hard problems—the harder the better. You will be valued for your intellectual curiosity, your innovative approach to problem-solving, and your strong analytical skills to make an impact on the success of our most valuable assets—our people and platform. This role is an opportunity to be a thought leader in our organization with a high level of autonomy and the full support of our Executive Team.
This role will serve as a trusted thought leader with internal and external stakeholders. You will truly enjoy what you do, be flexible and communicative. This role will report to the General Counsel & Chief Diversity Officer with extensive cross-functional interaction to ensure SoundCloud’s DEI strategy is comprehensive across the employee lifecycle and all operating functions.
Inclusion and diversity must be integrated into everything we do: a mindset with which we operate, a capability we build, a performance metric we goal, and success we measure and reward. It is not only an integral part of all of our people programs and practices but our platform as well. This is not a consultative role, rather we will hire a leader who is capable of designing a strategy, working closely with many partners across SoundCloud to execute on that strategy, and lead a team who program manages all aspects of the work underway at SoundCloud to ensure that it aligns to our overall DEI strategy and that we are collectively moving the company forward at a pace we can all be proud of.
How You Will Fulfill Your Impact
- Lead a diverse and globally dispersed team to deliver a long-term DEI framework focused on measurable and scalable strategies for SoundCloud’s employees plus our vast community of artists and fans
- Refresh DEI OKRs by being a data-informed partner through deep analysis of current and newly derived data to align goals with core business objectives
- Leverage diversity data and use insights to inform our approach in people management, product development, and external community engagement
- Collaborate across the People Team to build fair and equitable people practices across the entire talent lifecycle and build inclusion capabilities in every leader, manager and team member
- Develop initiatives and programming to increase access to underrepresented networks
- Drive accountability and governance for underrepresented hiring across executive, manager, and contractor roles
- Collaborate with appropriate teams to ensure SoundCloud facilitates an inclusive onboarding experience for employees, artists, and fans
- Ensure leadership, diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies and best practices, including recruitment, retention, and training, are well-communicated and widely adopted across company
- Anticipate DEI needs of functions and recommend feasible, impactful solutions before they impact their businesses; have a strong pulse and feedback loop on needs
- Partner with Communications and Marketing partners to prepare dynamic and highly compelling narratives for both internal and external audiences as a spokesperson for SoundCloud’s comprehensive DEI strategy priorities, activities, and results
- Strengthen external brand as an industry leader that consistently values and celebrates the business advantage for inclusion leading the way with inclusive creator and listener communities
- Liaison with broader music industry leaders to collaborate, support, and amplify critical DEI work externally
- Maintain focus on regulatory and policy changes, and local advocacy for DEI
Why We Value This Leader:
- You maintain discretion and are sought out as a trusted confidante with the ability to manage confidential information and exercise sound judgment and risk management
- You are respected for being a thoughtful, smart, humble individual — you know how to drive consensus among Executives with a wide range of opinions and working styles
- You are highly conscious of workplace injustices stemming from race, gender, and/or other identities with a strong knowledge of social power dynamics and ways to shift systemic inequities
- You are entrepreneurial and thrive in autonomous environments that complement your ability to prioritize with high tolerance for ambiguity and complexity while being efficient with limited resources
- You have the professional self-esteem and confidence to “push back” on executives when necessary
- You are a results-driven executive with a proven track record of transformational leadership
- You bring strong perspective that inspires change and motivates to develop solutions to complex issues
- You undertake projects and tasks with an attention to detail coupled with a sense of urgency
- You are a natural, experienced storyteller/spokesperson, able to construct effective narratives
- You have strong critical-thinking skills combined with a propensity toward innovation and risk taking
- You are a good sounding board for others, with low ego
- 7+ years of professional experience as a DEI strategist, consultant, or professional
- 3+ years working with senior executives in a client-facing, consulting role on inclusion and diversity
- Ability to accommodate occasional international travel as needed once business travel resumes
The salary range for this role in the US only is $150,000 to $200,000 annually. The final salary offered will be determined based on relative experience, skills, internal equity, and location. We also offer a generous total rewards program - read more about additional benefits and perks below!
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone’s voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as mental health resources
- Robust 401k program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Generous professional development allowance
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- 16 paid weeks for all parents (birthing and non-birthing), regardless of gender, to welcome newborns, adopted and foster children
- Various snacks, goodies, and 2 free lunches weekly when at the office
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mission at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us lead what’s next in music by understanding and empowering our creators and fans, no matter their identity. We acknowledge the challenges in the music industry, and strive to influence an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute respectfully and thrive, especially the historically marginalized communities that many of our creators, fans and SoundClouders identify with.
We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment at SoundCloud for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.
At SoundCloud you can find your community or elevate your allyship by joining a Diversity Resource Group. Diversity Resource Groups are employee-organized groups focused on supporting and promoting the interests of a particular underrepresented community in order to build a more inclusive culture at SoundCloud. Anyone can join, whether you share the identity or strive to be an ally.