Director, Data Science
You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful, foundational work. You strive to make an impact every day not only at work, but at home and in the community too. If that sounds like you, then you’ve landed in the right place.
The Hartford seeks an energetic and passionate data scientist leader with extensive experience in telematics to lead the design, development, and implementation of telematics solutions that will modernize and transform our business and operations.
The ideal candidate brings domain expertise in telematics and a track record of excellence leading people and projects in the validation and application of telematics data, such as data quality testing, feature engineering, loss and retention modeling, rating plan development, and driver coaching.
In this role, you will build and lead a team working across the data stack – from tried-and-true methods to cutting edge machine learning applications – to influence the future of telematics across our business. Success will depend on your ability to work independently, assemble and lead a dedicated team, and drive that team’s collaboration with partners across technical and business teams to define and lay the foundations of telematics at The Hartford.
- Identify and assess the value of new data sources and analytical techniques to ensure ongoing competitive advantage
- Articulate the costs and value-adds of ML solutions or operational decisions
- Remain current on data science and machine learning techniques and state-of-the-art tools
- Lead conversations with technical and business stakeholders to define and design solution concepts
- Lead and conduct the design and implementation of complex technological Proofs of Concept and data-driven products
What’s in it for you?
- Experience deeper understanding of data analysis, emerging technologies and development practices
- Collaboration with multiple high-performing, forward-focused teams across technology and business operations
- Opportunity to expand your leadership, communication, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational capabilities
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment driving business outcomes
- Enhance your entrepreneurial mindset – build your network and influence outcomes
- Supportive environment fostering your can-do attitude and finding you opportunity for growth and advancement based on consistent demonstrated performance
- Leverage the depth of your data experience to optimize business value
- Positioned as a key telematics leader among business and technology leadership
- Manage and mentor teammates and colleagues
- Proven track record of independent research and quantitative project delivery, as demonstrated by telematics industry experience or educational attainment such as a relevant Master’s or PhD in a quantitative field (for example computer science, quantitative economics, mathematics, physics, etc)
- 6+ years of experience in relevant analytical roles such as data science, machine learning, product analytics, etc. with at least 3 years of directly related telematics experience
- Experience conducting interviews and leading a team
- Understanding of current and emerging telematics products, services, processes, and methodologies
- Experience in the following disciplines: scripting languages (ex: python), SQL (ex: Oracle, PL/SQL), and big data tools and/or cloud environments (ex: AWS, GCP, Azure; Hadoop, Spark, Snowflake)
- Analytical approach with a strong ability to uncover and resolve problems by delivering innovative approaches and solutions
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership/accountability, and results oriented with the ability to manage time and schedules effectively
- Natural curiosity with a strong desire to learn, maintain, and apply knowledge of emerging data technologies
- Practical understanding of Agile and CI/CD
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills with ability to effectively communicate with senior leadership, influence and collaborate with colleagues, and unify a team driving toward a goal
- Experience with some or all of the following: data warehousing architecture, data modeling, data management, 3rd party data
- Experience interviewing, building, and leading a team
- Passion for learning new skills and the ability to adjust priorities on multiple projects based on changing demands/needs
- Experience in innovation, producing and rapidly delivering a minimally viable product with a “fail-fast” approach
- Knowledge of Property & Casualty Insurance business
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition.
The annualized base pay range for this role is:
$144,400 - $216,600
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age