Director - Data Engineering .
Ally and Your Career
Ally Financial only succeeds when its people do - and that’s more than some cliché people put on job postings. We live this stuff! We see our people as, well, people - with interests, families, friends, dreams, and causes that are all important to them. Our focus is on the health and safety of our teammates as well as work-life balance and diversity and inclusion. From generous benefits to a variety of employee resource groups, we strive to build paths that encourage employees to stretch themselves professionally. We want to help you grow, develop, and learn new things. You’re constantly evolving, so shouldn’t your opportunities be, too?
Are you passionate about developing people, creating modern data pipelines, enabling advanced analytics and delivering highly performant technology solutions? Do you have first-hand experience with modern ELT principles and tools, cloud data warehousing, data integration and API development? If so, we are interested in talking to you!
Ally is seeking a Director -Data Engineering to be a leader within Ally's Enterprise Data Analytics space. This individual will lead several squads delivering data pipelines for Ally’s Insurance business and a team focused on engineering excellence across Auto and Insurance data teams. The ideal candidate will have experience implementing data lake, domain and consumption layers in both the cloud and on-prem. This includes data ingestion, data preparation, data quality checking and management, API development, advanced analytics, and business intelligence.
The Director - Data Engineering provides technical delivery direction and oversight for data engineering teams to architect, design, develop, deploy, and maintain solutions that meet business needs while maintaining design integrity and adhering to standard processes and Ally information technology, security and compliance policies and procedures.
The Director must be a seasoned and effective manager of people, cultivating engaged and motivated teams. The Director will be accountable for delivering successfully on technology investments, including communicating effectively on the purpose and status of initiatives, proactively identifying potential roadblocks to success, and overcoming, mitigating, and raising concerns as appropriate.
The Work Itself
- Cultivate a team culture of process and technology delivery excellence by developing and maintaining world-class, modern development practices within the organization.
- Develop and prepare the next generation of technology leaders and team members and create an engaged and high-morale team environment through a non-hierarchical management style and a growth-mindset.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with business and technology stakeholders in Ally Insurance, partnering to meet strategic and tactical needs effectively while bringing new and innovative ideas about what is possible with advanced analytics and AI.
- Manage the entire delivery life cycle for Big Data workflows/pipelines to process billions of records in both near-real time and batch into large-scale data environments in the cloud.
- Initiate a culture of Automation to drive delivery efficiency.
- Define and manage SLAs for all data sets and processes.
- Implement Data Governance and Security practices. Ensure that delivery and deployment practices safeguard company assets and our customers by managing risks, information security, resiliency, and sustainability.
- Define and implement strategy for cloud migration.
- Maintain alignment to Data Architecture and Enterprise Architecture principles and patterns, and promote an architecture-first approach in the delivery practices of all our teams.
- Integrate activities and plans with business units and other IT organizations to ensure the successful implementation and support of company-wide goals.
- Oversee the channeling of epic/program scope into appropriate Agile squads and ensure that these bodies of work are appropriately decomposed into smaller delivery units and brought to production on a frequent basis. We aim to realize value quickly and establish timely feedback loops between the business and technology teams.
The Skills You Bring
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other relevant field of study
- 7+ years of experience with 3+ years leading a team
- Deep experience in the field of data engineering involving analytics focused Data warehouse environments like Snowflake and SAS, modern ELT tools like Qlik Replicate, DBT Cloud and DataStage
- Broad understanding of technical concepts in multiple specialized fields to develop technical solutions with an executive consultative approach
- Financial Services experience is a plus
- Ability to develop team and divisional guidelines and standards for well-managed software and data delivery
- Ability to thoroughly understand the business issues surrounding each technology initiative and removing impediments so teams may operate at maximum effectiveness
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to translate technical information for consumptions by business partner and executives
- Effective stakeholder management -- fair and balanced in dealings with vendors and internal partners
- Knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies and ability to apply trends to evolving business needs
- Confident, self-starter - demonstrates initiative and influence
- Experience with AWS and Snowflake
- Experience working in the auto finance or other financial industry is a plus
- Solid understanding of the software development process and Agile methods such as Scrum and Kanban as well as DevOps
- Master data management (MDM) and Data Vault architecture domain knowledge #li-hybrid
How We'll Have Your Back
Ally's compensation program offers market-competitive base pay and pay-for-performance incentives (bonuses) based on achieving personal and company goals. But Ally’s total compensation – or total rewards – extends beyond your paycheck and is designed to support and enrich your personal and professional life, including:
- Time Away: competitive holiday and flexible paid-time-off, including time off for volunteering and voting.
- Planning for the Future: plan for the near and long term with an industry-leading 401K retirement savings plan with matching and company contributions, student loan and 529 educational assistance programs, tuition reimbursement, and other financial well-being programs.
- Supporting your Health & Well-being: flexible health and insurance options including dental and vision, pre-tax Health Savings Account with employer contributions and a total well-being program that helps you and your family stay on track physically, socially, emotionally, and financially.
- Building a Family: adoption, surrogacy, and fertility support as well as parental and caregiver leave, back-up child and adult/elder day care program and childcare discounts.
- Work-Life Integration: other benefits including LifeMatters® Employee Assistance Program, subsidized and discounted Weight Watchers® program and other employee discount programs.
Who We Are:
Ally Financial is a customer-centric, leading digital financial services company with passionate customer service and innovative financial solutions. We are relentlessly focused on "Doing it Right" and being a trusted financial-services provider to our consumer, commercial, and corporate customers. For more information, visit www.ally.com.
Ally is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition or any other reason protected by law.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. For accommodation requests, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ally will not discriminate against any qualified individual who is capable of performing the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Base Pay Range: An individual's position in the range is determined by the scope and responsibilities of the role, work experience, education, certification(s), training, and additional qualifications. We review internal pay, the competitive market, and business environment prior to extending an offer.
Incentive Compensation: This position is eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan.