Director, Corporate Finance
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for a passionate, talented, fearless, music loving leader to serve as the head of corporate financial reporting. The ideal candidate will provide financial, business and analytical advisory services for financial accounting/reporting, budgeting, forecasting, treasury, M&A due diligence and accounting integration, KPI’s/Metrics, cost management, investor relations and operational deal support.
Reporting into the SVP of Finance - the Director of Corporate Finance will have the responsibility of developing and elevating the financial reporting function with the primary goal of making the Executive Team and Investor decision-making process more effective and efficient. This role will partner with the Controller (based in Berlin) as well as the business unit finance leads for each operating unit to garner a complete understanding of business performance (financial and non-financial) and produce insightful consolidated and consolidating financial results, financial KPIs, and non-financial KPIs to be utilized by the Executive Team. This role will also play a critical role in the financial diligence of M&A targets as well as post-close financial reporting integration of acquired companies (in close partnership with the Controller).
With a critical eye for engaging data to drive actionable business insights, this is a highly visible and key member of the finance organization. In addition, the Director of Corporate Finance will play a key role in the company’s short- and long-term planning, budgeting, and alignment of overall business strategy against the company’s financial plan.
- Work closely with Controller to ensure the monthly financial close calendar is consistently met, and own the conversion of monthly IFRS-based financial statements to US-based financial packages to be utilized for managerial purposes
- Provide budget-to-actual variance analyses for flash, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting, investor reporting for the Company, as well as at functional and cost center levels
- Partner with key leads within each operating unit to aggregate financial and non-financial KPIs to be included in monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting to the Executive Team and investors, including competitive benchmarking
- Leverage Oracle Fusion (ERP system), Adaptive Insights (planning tool), and reporting systems to improve internal management reporting
- Own the roll-up and final product from the annual budgeting and strategic planning process, including stress-testing and iterating on draft planning exercises with business unit leads
- Assist the SVP of Finance to refine long-range strategic modeling and investor communications
Assist SVP of Finance with Investor Relations management, ESOP and cap table management, including:
- Tracking and reporting of ESOP pool (Shareworks)
- Obtaining SBC based compensation entries for annual expensing as part of audit
- 409a valuations
- Primary Assistance in responding to Investor questions and inquiries
- Distribution of monthly and quarterly reporting documents
- Annual K1 documentation for US investors
Assist legal and accounting as needed on the following topics:
- Global legal entity governance and compliance
- Impact of business operations on tax strategy, legal entity setup & maintenance
Experience and Background:
The successful candidate will be hard-working, highly ethical, data driven and able to think and act both strategically and independently, and drive projects forward. The candidate will have experience in multinational operations and understand the nuances of multi-unit, global consolidations. This position operates in a fast-paced environment and must be able to support senior leaders through effective communication, logical reasoning, and data focused solutions. The right individual will further establish processes, frameworks, and systems to scale the corporate finance function with the growth of the company.
Furthermore, the Director of Corporate Finance is a proven finance leader who possesses 8 or more years of finance, accounting, professional managerial experience. They will have highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including outstanding presentation skills and ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively at all levels of the organization as well as the board of directors and external investors. The successful candidate must be able to deliver accurate forecasts and give high-quality decision support to the Executive Team.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks; proactive with a high sense of urgency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and superior presentation skills
- Exceptional knowledge and ability to use advanced analytics to optimize financial reporting initiatives and institute a culture of confidence and precision
- Forward looking leader with a passion for unlocking data analytics to optimize financial performance
- Desire to strive for excellence and continuous improvement; ability to develop innovative and creative solutions
- Drive business results with a consistent focus on creating optimal systems and processes
- Ability to be operational and hands-on, while understanding the strategic view
- 8+ years of multinational finance leadership experience in media and/or music industry
- General understanding of US GAAP and IFRS impact on management reporting and forecasting
- Self-motivated and stress resilient
- Approachable and calm demeanor
- Deep knowledge of Excel; experience in leveraging Adaptive Insights and Oracle, a plus
- Excellent skills in cash flow, P&L and B/S modeling, including working capital
- Startup company fundraising and cap table management experience, preferred
- Fully developed excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor and refine communication style to diverse audiences globally
- Experience in driving the strategic transformation of the organization
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is responsive, solutions & data focused, and results oriented
- Successful career track-record
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone’s voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as mental health resources
- Robust 401k program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Generous professional development allowance
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- 16 paid weeks for all parents (birthing and non-birthing), regardless of gender, to welcome newborns, adopted and foster children
- Various snacks, goodies, and 2 free lunches weekly when at the office
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization. With this foundation, we aim to build a social platform and global community for everyone to create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry and strive to develop an inclusive culture where individual contributions are valued. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.
At SoundCloud you can find your community or elevate your allyship by joining a Diversity Resource Group (groups focused on people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women). You may also participate in inclusive workshops, contribute to our Cultural Moments series, select organizations for the SoundCloud Community Fund to support, and more!