Director, Communications, PR, and Content
At UL, we know why we come to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Director of Communications, Public Relations, and Content to join our UL Research Institutes.
The Director of Communications, Public Relations, and Content leads the efforts to create and oversee the implementation of external communications, public relations, social media, and other content and communications strategies that support the mission, priorities, and goals of the organization. The Director of Communications, PR and Content works closely with other directors, leaders and colleagues across UL Research Institutes (ULRI) to advance the communications strategy.
At UL Research Institutes, we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
What you’ll learn & achieve:
As the Director of Communications, Public Relations, and Content you will play a key role in the rapid growth of UL as you:
- Lead external communications strategies with informative campaigns geared toward specific target audiences.
- Attract, retain, structure, motivate and lead a proactive, collaborative external communications, PR, and content
- Collaborate with all levels of the organization and stakeholders to develop and implement external communication strategies for UL Research Institutes.
- Oversee all content development initiatives across multiple platforms and formats.
- Lead, support, and implement public relations response to crisis communications, working closely and collaboratively with UL Solutions press team, legal team, and internal leadership, as required.
- Support other communications initiatives with media relations, as needed, that include promotional events, speaking engagements, and awards.
- Communicate major industry developments, campaigns, and other external communications working closely with the broader communications team.
- Develop communication approach, processes, resources, and governance frameworks to ensure high quality, aligned, and brand compliant communication is delivered to stakeholders and the public.
- Direct proactive and reactive media relations strategies.
- Perform other duties as directed and represent the communications function as needed in key cross-functional strategic enterprise initiatives, events and transformation projects.
What makes you a great fit:
While no one candidate will embody every quality, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional competencies and personal attributes:
- Expert and disciplined written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Expert storyteller, disciplined communicator, strong collaborator, effective facilitation, project planning and management skills.
- Leadership, initiative, and influence skills with advanced strategic thinking to create alignment and buy-in with multiple stakeholders and deliver results in a matrixed organization.
- Positive and collaborative attitude and interpersonal skills to work effectively with leaders and colleagues across the organization, as well as outside the organization.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven.
- Ability to support and counsel senior-level executives on various external communications and PR matters.
- Ability to influence without authority and motivate others toward common objectives.
- Team-building skills and ability to manage and motivate staff.
Professional education and experience requirements for the role include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English/American Literature, Communications, or related field required. Master’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, or related field preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of related discipline experience or demonstrated competency.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing diverse teams and direct reports by assessing and prioritizing projects. Experience working with global teams strongly preferred.
- Previous PR and media outreach experience is required.
- Proven track record of successfully developing and delivering media relations strategies, experience with message development and message distribution via myriad channels.
- Experience working closely with journalists, dealing with reporters, and responding to media requests.
- Crisis and issues management experience.
- Demonstrated success working with global PR firms and other PR related vendors.
- Proven success at leveraging digital as well as traditional media.
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 128 years and is deeply ingrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL Research Institutes are eligible for bonus compensation. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.