Director, Commercial Business Development
Phillips 66 & YOU - Together we can fuel the future
Phillips 66 has more than 140 years of experience in providing the energy that enables people to dream bigger and go farther, faster. We are committed to improving lives, and that is our promise to our employees and our communities. We are sustained by the backgrounds and experiences of our diverse teams, which reflect who we are, the environment we create and how we work together. Our company is built on values of safety, honor and commitment. We call our cultural mindset Our Energy in Action, which we define through four simple, intuitive behaviors: We work for the greater good, create an environment of trust, seek different perspectives and achieve excellence. Phillips 66 was recognized by Forbes as one of “America’s Best Employers” in 2021.
Learn more about Phillips 66 and watch our video "Trying New Things" by visiting phillips66.com/about.
The Commercial organization works to effectively leverage assets and market knowledge to create additional value within the risk parameters of the Company. We do this by maximizing general interest profitability, enhancing return on capital employed by successfully partnering with the Refining, Transportation and Marketing functions to ensure Value Chain Integration. Our truck and rail fleets support our feedstock and distribution operations. Rail movements are provided via a fleet of more than 10,000 owned and leased rail cars. Truck movements are provided through numerous third-party trucking companies, as well as through our 100 percent-owned subsidiary, Sentinel Transportation LLC.
The Director, Commercial Business Development owns and manages Phillips 66’s strategic relationships with all 3rd party midstream service providers and is responsible for negotiating and optimizing pipeline and terminal agreements. The position will frequently interact with internal Value Chain Optimization (VCO), Marketing, Scheduling, Trading, Emerging Energy, and Midstream to ensure the safest and most efficient transportation and storage of feedstocks and products. Primary focus includes contract performance management and lowering secondary supply costs.
Responsibilities May Include
- Lowering secondary costs to/from a refinery or market hub via negotiations for all 3rd party pipeline and terminal agreements.
- Collaborating with Commercial functions, Marketing, and VCO to identify opportunities, develop targets and ensure contractual logistics needs are met.
- Developing growth opportunities.
- Owning a logistics plan for assigned regions with a clear view of available assets and an understanding of Phillips 66 feedstock and product placement plans.
- Leading decision-making driven by general interest profits; not individual or functional only benefits.
- Evaluating FERC tariff recommendations and propose / manage periodic tariff protestations.
- Developing firm understanding in market-based fees for pipeline freight, storage, terminaling and throughput services.
- Coordinating economic analyses of required capital projects or contractual matters.
- Negotiating and executing logistics contracts.
- Coordinating functional reviewers.
- Managing relationships with 3rd party logistics providers.
- Conducting counterparty and asset visits.
- Representing Phillips 66 at industry events.
- Ensuring compliance with contractual requirements and resolve disputes.
- Adhering to Phillips 66 compliance requirements and business processes.
- Maintaining effective records management policies.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 or more years of experience in the energy industry
- Willing to travel up to 25% of the time
- Functional expertise in crude, clean products, renewables, transportation operations, tariff methodologies, contract management, regulatory compliance, economic evaluation, and internal controls
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, idea generation and organizational skills to support business focused decisions
- Experience in development of project economic evaluations
- 7 or more years of industry experience including commercial, business development, operations and/or logistics in downstream and/or or midstream
- Influencing skills, including the ability to work across departmental and functional boundaries in a matrix organization
- Strong facilitation skills - ability to manage upwards and help secure understanding, ownership and commitment to activity timings, within key discipline leads
- Self-starter capable of working with limited supervision
At Phillips 66, providing access to high quality programs and care for you and your family is important to us. Maintaining a culture of well-being — physical, emotional, social, and financial — is essential for a high-performing organization. When we are at our best, we are poised to deliver exceptional results — personally and professionally. Benefits for certain eligible, full-time employees include:
- Annual Variable Cash Incentive Program (VCIP) bonus
- 8% 401k company match, with an additional 0-4% Company 401k contribution based on the Company’s financial performance
- Cash Balance Account pension
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits with an annual company contribution to a Health Savings Account for employees on HDHP
- Total well-being programs and incentives, including Employee Assistance Plan, well-being reimbursement, and backup family care services
To be considered:
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of 03/23/2023.
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities