Director, Brand and Editorial Design
Our product mission is to be the best place for sports fans. We already provide an unrivaled breadth and depth of sports coverage. We are looking for an experienced and talented Design Director to lead a multidisciplinary team of designers tasked with pushing The Athletic’s brand and digital content experiences to new heights.
You are an experienced designer, obsessed with the craft and application of your skills across a variety of surfaces and mediums. You’re an innovative thinker and maker who harnesses the power of design to engage sports fans through captivating audiovisual storytelling and branded expressions. You are a dedicated leader committed to nurturing a high-functioning team culture that values communication, collaboration, diverse perspectives, taking risks, and growing talent.
- Mold and shepherd The Athletic’s brand and editorial design strategy from conception to execution.
- Define, manage, and execute award-winning editorial content experiences (graphics, photography, video, and infographic). published on our app and website, and amplified through mainstream social media channels.
- Define, manage, and execute content and value-centric branded marketing campaigns across digital and physical (e.g. print, OOH) surfaces.
- Hire, manage and grow a team of graphic and multimedia designers.
- Shape and synthesize brand and editorial design standards, and create procedures to ensure all implementations across the company are cohesive and compelling.
- Scale our brand across a broader set of customer segments, geographies and sports verticals.
- Create, pitch, and execute creative strategy and output to internal and external stakeholders across all levels.
- Manage budgets and resources in supports of our editorial and marketing business units.
- 8+ years design experience, +3 years of experience leading a team.
- Experience working with consumer and media brands.
- Subject matter expertise related to sports is a must. You have a strong understanding of what makes a great sports media brand and product experience, and ideas on how you could make our offering even better.
- Deep understanding of how to recruit top talent and build exceptional teams.
- A solid understand of digital, and physical design trends and best practices.
- Have in-depth knowledge of brand development, including experience creating and managing a brand system.
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker… and maker.
- Familiarity in managing distributed teams and agencies in multiple geographies.
- Mastery of Figma and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Exceptional oral/written/visual communications skills.
- An eagerness to try new things, innovate and learn - and a willingness to learn from mistakes.
- Online portfolio is required.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.