What We're Looking For
Ethos is looking for an experienced actuary to join our team. You will be partnering closely with our actuarial, underwriting and product teams to identify opportunities to fine-tune and innovate our product, underwriting and pricing solutions. You will also work with other teams to identify and pursue new product and distribution opportunities. You will assist in identification of ideal industry partners and push them to accelerate the evolution of our product mix and risk practices to enable optimal customer experience.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of doing the impossible and scaling a new insurance model at extraordinary speed. The right candidate will have expertise in life insurance products, underwriting and pricing; experience working with varied stakeholders internally and externally; and be able to think differently to create value and capitalize on unrealized opportunities in the market. This is a unique opportunity to drive the offerings for a brand that is quickly gaining a lot of national and global attention.
If this sounds like a match for you and what you are up to, please apply. We'd love to hear from you!
- Are self-motivated and persistent to seek answers in a fast-paced startup environment
- Have a bias for action and are comfortable managing internal and external relationships to achieve the same
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating credibly and effectively to your audience
- Are detail-oriented and have strong mathematical foundations
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support development and management of the company’s product and carrier strategy
- Research and evaluate new products and partnerships to support the strategic goals of the business
- Lead RFP preparation for new products and be expert resource to counterparties
- Work with internal and external partners to identify opportunities to evolve existing products or add new products to maximize business economics
- Bring new and innovative products to market by collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify risk and performance objectives of carrier partners
- Ensure proactive achievement of carrier objectives establishing effective measurement systems and action plans
Continuously innovate in risk selection and pricing
- Continuously improve our risk pricing from carrier partners
- Seek and evaluate new and alternative sources of underwriting data that improve the customer journey, provide competitive risk pricing and increase the value of new business for the enterprise
- Provide actuarial / data science insights to the underwriting and user experience team to support and guide the continuous improvement of underwriting guidelines and requirements while improving the user journey
- Deliver proprietary predictive analytics and other statistical techniques to augment and transform traditional underwriting leveraging Ethos data science team and vendors as needed
- Customize risk selection approaches for different markets and channels based on multiple factors including lead quality and agent quality
Increase availability, usability and scale of risk data
- Champion rich and model ready data capture within Ethos
- Source third party and industry data sets that can be used for direct and inferential analysis
- Maintain leading knowledge on industry mortality and underwriting trends
Skills & Background:
- BS/BA in Mathematics, Statistics, or similar quantitative field
- Deep understanding of life insurance products, underwriting and pricing
- Demonstrated research capabilities coupled with effective documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication and data visualization skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating effectively to your audience
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.