You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
At BBC Global Digital News & Streaming, (a team situated within BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC) we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism and unscripted content in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of one of the world’s most recognized brands and trusted news organizations.
Purpose of the role
We are stepping up our visual vernacular. You will have an opportunity to create break-through designs and execute them across a variety of mediums. As a designer, you will be the guiding force of how design can help push culture, society and the BBC forward.
- Play a critical role in design and creative projects, helping direct the overall visual narrative and graphics
- Build, maintain and safeguard our brand guidelines, looking for opportunities to expand on them and create our design principles
- Create a large range of marketing materials including: brand campaigns, logos, key art, graphic packages, icons, gifs, presentations, newsletters, digital banners, social media assets and more
- Help identify and develop efficiencies in the creative processes
Scope & Impact
- Create moodboards and visual directions presenting breakthrough visual ideas using creative storytelling techniques that inspire
- Assist in small to large scale projects from ideation to execution across digital to larger 360 campaigns
- Create and review versioned artwork
- Collaborate with teams including marketing, events, content, sales, social, product, video production, operations, and more
- Work with external vendors, including photographers, illustrators, agencies and more
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- Someone with the ability to help develop, define and interpret our brand guidelines/standards and apply them to all creative assets, looking for opportunities to expand our visual vernacular
- Has a deep understanding and is passionate about visual hierarchy, branding, color systems, typography, layouts, photography and how these elements come together to create impactful designs, whether in a URL or IRL space
- Experience working across digital, print, social, out-of-home, motion, video and more as it relates to marketing and brand campaigns
- Open and receptive to feedback and comfortable providing feedback
- 5+ years experience working in-house at a media company or an agency setting (news and/or tech experience a plus)
You have experienced in Adobe Creative Suite, including:
- Motion experience a plus
- You are a strong communicator, both visually and verbally, having the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts
- You are an enthusiastic storyteller, understanding the importance and need for crafting beautiful visual narratives
- Creative problem solver who doesn't take themselves too seriously
- Highly independent, but highly collaborative, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing shifting priorities
- You have a passion for news and culture and like pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in design
- You love BBC content
- Please provide a link to your online portfolio or a PDF; applications without a portfolio are unlikely to be considered