Design is involved in almost everything Stripe does—from our events and brand voice, to our web and mobile products, and even printed publications like Stripe Press. Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products; on their behalf we agonize over the details. We want our user experiences to become second nature.
There are several teams under the banner of Web Presence & Platform (WPP) at Stripe: Experiences, Experimentation, Events, Content Platform, and more. It’s a tightly coupled group of interactive designers, front-end specialists, web strategists, platform engineers, and every skill set in-between.
The Experiences, Experimentation, and Events teams focus on the craft of our web pages—UX design, frontend code, information architecture. The Content Platform team supports them and other partners around Stripe by ensuring there’s a fast, efficient technology platform on which to build and run these pages.
Together we design and build stripe.com and other sites that amount to what is, for many, their first impression of Stripe. We want to make every pixel count, we want it to be enthralling, and we want to help other Stripes seamlessly benefit from our systematic work.
What you’ll do
This is a senior web-native role leading the creative direction of our design & build. As a Design Manager for Experiences, you’ll lead a large but nimble team of designers and design engineers crafting stripe.com.
You will set the strategic vision for Stripe’s design on the web, including stripe.com but also across our other surfaces such as Stripe Press and Increment. You’ll foster the individuals on your team, providing support to their work and acceleration to their growth. You’ll partner with WPP’s leadership to devise and deliver on quarterly and yearly roadmaps focused on the strategic experiences we bring to our users. You’ll develop and empower a collaborative team that is excited to meet you. And not least, you’ll partner with other design leaders across Stripe to help all our various teams sing from the same song sheet.
- Work closely with the team to help develop and expand our design systems, devise generative art directions, propose web animations, and distill interaction-heavy product launch materials on sites such as stripe.com
- Manage a team of designers and support their career development
- Craft novel moments of storytelling and delight for our web presence
- Work with other design specialists and managers on team-wide initiatives, like recruiting and developing content standards
- Help the team influence strategic decisions across all the corners of our web presence
- Partner with marketing, comms, and editorial teams to define information architecture and tell the right stories
- Often work on very broadly defined, loose concepts, and sometimes on narrowly defined, tactical deliverables
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 6 years+ of creative direction and management experience, and 9+ years of relevant experience in strategy, information architecture, web design and creative technology experience at digital native agencies, and/or tech-forward, product-driven companies.
- Leadership in driving strategic thinking for impactful digital experiences
- Conviction in the web as a storytelling medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of design systems, engaging microsites, Figma libraries, webgl experiments, CSS art, or anything else—you tell us
- Expert understanding of the formal elements of design, not just limited to the web but including typography, layout, balance, and proportion
- A demonstrable ability to communicate your front-end or information architecture designs using documentation and crisp visualisation
- Sufficiently advanced knowledge of modern HTML and CSS to empathise with and lead the designers and design engineers crafting our web presence
- A tenacity for moving quickly on new, green-field projects while steadfastly delivering on long-term roadmaps
- Accountability and a high bar when working with production systems
- Intuition and empathy to gather consensus amongst different stakeholders and subject matter experts