The Washington Post is seeking a Design Lead to join its Product Design team. This team of UX, UI, visual designers and creative technologists leads design strategy and visual approaches for The Post’s suite of digital products, including washingtonpost.com, our native iOS and Android apps, email, internal publishing tools, and paywall and account management experiences.
We are looking for a creative leader to guide the design of products that support daily workflows of Washington Post content creators. Our suite of tools allows WP journalists & editors to publish content, plan new stories, and promote their work to readers. Your job would be to inspire and lead a group of designers focused on this portfolio of 4-5 different tools that power our reading, listening, and watching experiences. This role would report to a product design manager
- Generate new creative ideas for our publishing tools based on user, business, & editorial needs.
- Proactive user research to better understand how our newsroom and editorial teams’ needs, workflows, and pain points.
- Provide mentorship & career growth coaching for up to 4 designers as a direct manager
- Offer meaningful feedback & constructive critique to designers working on story experience projects
- Ensure designers are collaborating effectively & focused on solving impactful problems
- Lead and strategize team initiatives that improve collaboration and culture
- You are energized by problem solving and love to ideate solutions for difficult problems
- You are familiar with UX best practices, patterns, and trends in the product design industry
- You have an eye for pixel-perfect details in visual design
- You have a passion for design culture and want to grow the effectiveness of our teams
- You want to see others grow and have a passion for empowering other team members
- You have aptitude for simplifying and communicating complex ideas
- You want to influence the design and visuals of The Post’s suite of products
- 5+ year experience as a designer
- Proven track record driving large user-centered design initiatives from concept to launch
- Expert-level visual design skills: ability to craft layouts with clear and and balanced hierarchy through use of color, size, type, scale, position, etc
- Strong prototyping skills, experience building polished flows via one the following: Figma, Principal, ProtoPie, XD, and/or After effects
- Familiarity with user research methods and best practice, experience executing research studies
- Experience with the publishing/journalism industry a plus but not required
- Previous management experience a plus but not required