New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for an experienced design director to own the strategy, design language, and direction of all things design for the brand team. This role will help evolve the look and feel of SoundCloud as a brand and influence both marketing and brand identity design evolution. You will be the steward of our design system, and challenge all elements in order to keep SoundCloud at the forefront of what’s next in entertainment. You are an artist and meticulous designer that knows how to use research and creativity to create the best experiences for artists and fans. This is a position reporting directly to the Vice President of Creative.
- Be responsible for the creative success of multiple medium-sized to large projects.
- Experience in training and managing a design team; deeply collaborative with the ability to bring teams together to solve problems
- Work collaboratively with cross-disciplinary teams to build systemic brand design solutions.
- Ensure all final design deliverables for a project are pixel-perfect.
- Guide the creative voice of the design language at SoundCloud as a whole in partnership with team Creative Directors, Brand Designers, and Marketers.
- Extensive fine arts and digital skills.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and adhere to deadlines with challenging demands
- Present latest design trends and challenge creative teams to be unique and fresh.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for cross-functional design needs across the company.
- Minimum of six (6) years experience as a design leader within advertising, brand, entertainment, and/or technology.
- Shape and evolve the overall design identity, vision, principles, and processes for the brand.
Experience and Background:
- You are a brilliant creative and strategic thinker who can solve business problems with artistic integrity.
- You are a Brand Systems and Design expert.
- You are passionate about music and entertainment.
- You are able to make big creative calls on behalf of the team.
- You are a great planner who constantly thinks ahead.
- You are aware of what’s new in culture and creatively influence stakeholders.
- You are not afraid to get your hands dirty and lead by design.
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone’s voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as mental health resources
- Robust 401k program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Generous professional development allowance
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- 16 paid weeks for all parents (birthing and non-birthing), regardless of gender, to welcome newborns, adopted and foster children
- Various snacks, goodies, and 2 free lunches weekly when at the office
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization. With this foundation, we aim to build a social platform and global community for everyone to create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry and strive to develop an inclusive culture where individual contributions are valued. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.
At SoundCloud you can find your community or elevate your allyship by joining a Diversity Resource Group (groups focused on people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women). You may also participate in inclusive workshops, contribute to our Cultural Moments series, select organizations for the SoundCloud Community Fund to support, and more!