The Cultivation Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the cultivation facility in accordance with standards set by the state and Ayr Wellness. The Cultivation Manager provides support for all cultivation agents, including schedules, training, policy and procedure updates, industry news, and product information. Responsible for the documentation, ordering, and receiving of all inventory and products, arranging deliveries, maintaining facility compliance, and cleanliness in accordance with state regulations and standards set by Ayr Wellness.
The Cultivation Manager is also responsible for the coordination of demand planning, scheduling of crops to meet demand, crop management, harvesting, manicuring, and facility sanitation. Sanitation is an integral part of cannabis cultivation, and sanitation protocols, implementation, and delegation falls under the supervision of the Cultivation Manager in regards to any grow zone.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages cultivation staff, schedules, cultivation processes, inventory, and vendor relations.
- Serves as a role model and resource for cultivation staff concerning products and services, policies and procedures, industry news, and changes in regulations.
- Provides mentorship to all cultivators regarding horticulture science, crop production, semi-annual reviews, discipline, and internal promotions.
- Trains cultivation staff on all cultivation processes and standard operating procedures, proper pesticide application and safety, and proper fertigation and safety.
- Oversees all cultivation tasks and processes, ensures proper documentation of all applicable activities in accordance with the state agencies and standards set by Ayr Wellness.
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees the transition of product development by ensuring the proper tasks are executed and the environmental conditions support the cultivation of superior product quality in accordance with state regulations and standards set by the company.
- Responsible for the environmental and irrigation conditions for crop production, adjusting needed equipment or software to maintain proper standard lifecycle conditions.
- Manages the fertilizer program, maintaining appropriate stock nutrient levels, batches, and dialing in recipes as needed.
- Troubleshoots cultivation equipment, irrigation equipment, and controlled environmental software.
- Identifies crop problems and determines a solution in an appropriate time frame.
- Creates, revises, updates, and implements standard operating procedures pertaining to cultivation, maintenance of horticulture equipment, integrated pest management, sanitation, harvesting, and other processes involving the cultivation of cannabis.
- Must meet age requirement as outlined by state cannabis agencies.
- Able to pass all background checks/fingerprinting as required by state cannabis agencies.
- Able to provide valid badging/credentials as required by state cannabis agencies.
- Two years of experience in commercial cannabis production.
- Two years of experience in a position with managerial responsibilities.
- Strong indoor horticulture and greenhouse management experience.
- Thorough understanding of state and local medical and/or recreational cannabis laws and how they apply to the operations of Ayr Wellness.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Effective time-management skills and ability to multitask.
- Four-year degree in a horticultural or agricultural field or demonstrated experience in horticulture or agricultural production.
- 4-6 years horticulture experience at large scale
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, and Attitude)
- Priority Setting - Invests their time and others on what's important to deliver business results; quickly and effectively collaborates bringing together the collective intelligence of critical team members and prioritizes what needs to be done to reach the goal; quickly senses opportunities and obstacles in accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks and creates focus that drives success and results.
- Relationship Building - Viewed as a truthful individual who shares authentic and constructive feedback in a respectful manner in the spirit of being a force for good; builds mutual respect and trust by listening, learning, and acting with compassion to encourage others in discovering their genius; takes responsibility for mistakes and offers impactful solutions; recognizes personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks and openly welcomes feedback for continuous improvement and personal growth.
- Results Oriented - Empowered with the knowledge of their potential this person learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner, open to change, analyzes successes and failures for continuous improvement, experiments and will try anything to find solutions that support an ecosystem of knowledge; enjoys challenge of unfamiliar tasks, quickly grasps the essence and underlying structure of anything.
- Functional/Technical Skill - Possesses functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform at a high level of accomplishment; understands how their job function supports being a force for good
- Manages department within a function with authority to hire/terminate.
- The person in this position may be exposed to dust, kief, cleaning chemicals and fumes. Although systems are in place to remove these byproducts, there is still exposure to some degree.
- Frequently works in rooms with bright light where eye protection is required.
- Frequently works in rooms with moderate heat and humidity.
- The person in this position is constantly exposed to moderate background noise due to environmental systems, equipment and fans.
- Must be able to work on weekends or alternate shifts
- Sitting, standing and walking motion/movement will be required throughout the shift.
- Constant movement of hands/fingers and limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina.
- Constantly positions self throughout task at hand.
- Frequently ascends/descends a ladder to inspect/maintain plants.
- Occasionally operates power hand tools and other cultivation machinery.
- Must be able to inspect and detect quality deviations and defects.
- Occasional lifting, positioning or moving items up to 100 pounds.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
At AYR Wellness, our vision is to be a force for good in all we do and to bring lasting positive change to our communities, our industry, and our world. And it wouldn’t be possible without our exceptionally talented team. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the uniqueness of each employee and supports their individual journey in finding their genius and pursuing their passion.
AYR Wellness is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans’ status.