The Cultivation Lead supervises and assists Cultivation team in performing all the tasks necessary to grow various strains of quality cannabis including but not limited to: feeding the plants, defoliation, super cropping, flushing, foliar and preventative sprays, waste disposal and inventory management for a large commercial facility. The Cultivation Lead works closely with the Cultivation Technicians, Cultivation Manager and the Cultivation Director on all aspects of cultivating.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Opens and closes designated grow zones according to Ayr Wellness standard operating procedures.
- Checks for any plant loss or stress, malfunctioning cultivation equipment, and any uncompleted tasks from the day before.
- Double checks that all items on the Opening and Closing checklist are completed successfully and according to SOP’s, delegating tasks to other Cultivators as necessary.
- Performs daily inspections of plants for overall health, pests, disease or sex change.
- Assesses overall plant health and well-being and give individual plants tailored attention based on need.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and organized work environment
- Understands and becomes familiar with all cultivation equipment and tools and the cleaning of all equipment and tools
- Sets up a team for success by making sure every team member has the supplies and equipment needed for an activity.
- Assists Cultivation Manager with rotation of strains through garden to ensure a variety and quantity for dispensary locations.
- Constantly monitors environmental controls to ensure environmental controls are in optimal range; Temperature, Humidity, Vapor Pressure Deficit, CO2 ppm, Water Temperature, Dissolved Oxygen ppm, Light Intensity, etc.
- Assists the Cultivation Manager with tracking plants from birth to harvest by ensuring proper and accurate documentation for applicable activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must meet age requirement as outlined by state cannabis agencies.
- Able to pass all background checks/fingerprinting as required by state cannabis agencies.
- Able to provide valid badging/credentials as required by state cannabis agencies.
- Two years of experience in general cannabis cultivation or commercial production gardening.
- Minimum 6 months of professional experience in agriculture, horticulture or cannabis industry.
- Ability to make decisions when needed.
- Accurate data-entry and record keeping.
- Thorough understanding of state and local medical and/or recreational cannabis laws and how they apply to the operations of Ayr Wellness.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Effective time-management skills and ability to multitask.
- Must be able to work on nights, weekends or alternate shifts.
- Two-year degree in horticulture or related field preferred.
- 1-3 years
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced, changing and challenging environment.
- Experience with inventory control software.
- Proficiency in Windows-based software, point-of-sale applications, and internet navigation.
- This job will require continuous education and training by the Director of Cultivation.
- This position will require reading and learning through textbooks, articles, webinars, and hands-on activities.
- No direct reports.
- The person in this position may be exposed to dust, kief, cleaning chemicals and fumes. Although systems are in place to remove these byproducts, there is still exposure to some degree.
- Frequently works in rooms with bright light where eye protection is required.
- Frequently works in rooms with moderate heat and humidity.
- The person in this position is constantly exposed to moderate background noise due to environmental systems, equipment and fans.
- Sitting, standing and walking motion/movement will be required throughout the shift.
- Constant movement of hands/fingers and limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina.
- Constantly positions self throughout task at hand.
- Frequently ascends/descends a ladder to inspect/maintain plants.
- Occasionally operates power hand tools and other cultivation machinery.
- Must be able to inspect and detect quality deviations and defects.
- Occasional lifting, positioning or moving items up to 100 pounds.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
At AYR Wellness, our vision is to be a force for good in all we do and to bring lasting positive change to our communities, our industry, and our world. And it wouldn’t be possible without our exceptionally talented team. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the uniqueness of each employee and supports their individual journey in finding their genius and pursuing their passion.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to pursuing our vision for the future, and we believe that our success is dependent on building a truly equitable, collaborative, and inclusive team. One that reflects the diversity of the communities that we serve.
In addition to a generous benefits package, and unparalleled career opportunities, as an employee at Ayr Wellness, you can expect to be provided with industry-leading training which will offer you an in-depth insight into the wonderful world of cannabis.