Full-time opportunities are available for those who are completing an undergraduate degree and will be graduating between Spring 2021 and Fall 2021
General Motors' Creative Design is seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified individuals for potential future opportunities as Creative Designers in multiple areas and studios. In anticipation of these opportunities becoming available, if you are interested in learning more about GM, completing this profile will allow us to stay connected.
Are you a highly creative design individual who is interested in being part of one of the most exciting design studios in the world? Based in Warren, Michigan, where the fusion of Art, Design and Technology come together, General Motors North America has exciting opportunities across multiple brand studios for designers interested in stretching the boundaries of automotive design.
As a Creative Designer at GM, you will be part of a larger, connected, global design team working on forward-thinking, extraordinary elements in production design. Your role will be to see the future - researching, designing and creating proposals that demonstrate innovative concepts, from inception to implementation, for automotive and mobility applications. With brand strategy as the filter, you will generate concepts for automotive products in both 2D and 3D proposals. You must have exceptional visualization skills and be able to communicate your ideas to an audience. You will adeptly refine ideas as you receive feedback. Working in a team, you will collaborate with multiple creative and non-creative partners, including suppliers, to execute ideas and deliver world class products. You should be comfortable in dealing with potential changes in direction based on what designs catch fire. You should thrive in a team environment and display a strong ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about design, innovation and who is highly creative as demonstrated in your portfolio. If you are driven and eager to propel your career forward, take your next step in joining a world class design studio at General Motors!
***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
In this position, you will:
- Create new and unique designs (including interior, exterior, components, accessories, color and trim, and product) and component ideas and concepts for vehicles and other mobility products through traditional sketches as well as digitally through the use of 2D and 3D technology
- Collaborate frequently with the design team, sculpting organization, engineering and fabrication teams in the development of new designs
- Take a big-picture perspective on customer needs and future transportation and create provocative concepts and designs
- Work duties that require excellent perception, taste, judgement and creativity while employing skill and accuracy
- Provide insight and recommendations to leadership while possessing willingness and acumen to act upon general guidance in a deadline driven environment
- Maintain knowledge of current design trends and technology. Present ideas frequently to management and leadership to communicate design ideas
- Exhibit courage and challenge expectations
- Additional duties as assigned
Additional Job Description
Basic Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design (Automotive Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, Exterior Design, Graphic Design or Architecture) or commensurate experience
- Professional experience in a design related field, automotive is strongly desired but not essential
- Strong understanding of form
- Strong drawing skills
- Proven creative proficiency
- Demonstrated ability with electronic tools to communicate 2-D ideations
- Sophisticated oral and written communications skills, specifically when communicating new ideas
- High level of analytical ability when faced with complex problems
- Ability to work independently and within a team as well as provide mentoring
- Good interpersonal skills and the aptitude to work effectively with others and build relationships
- Strong technical skills and ability to effectively use as it pertains to engineering
Relocation assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.