Counsel / Senior Counsel
The Legal & Business Affairs team of Vox Media has an opening for a Counsel or Senior Counsel position who will be responsible for a wide array of commercial and corporate matters. We’re looking for a business-minded attorney with experience in the technology or media industry who can act as a utility player for a high-performing legal team. The position will review, draft, and negotiate vendor, confidentiality, and professional services agreements to support the various procurement needs at Vox Media. The position may also provide corporate and business law guidance, including managing corporate governance best practices, helping to manage the Company’s equity program, and supporting M&A activity as needed.
This position reports to the SVP, Deputy General Counsel while working closely with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs department, as well as internal business teams and leadership across the company. This position is perfect for an attorney who can work within a team and who has had substantive exposure to a broad range of transactional and corporate matters.
The Legal & Business Affairs team is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements with vendors or other partners, including professional services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, master services agreements and statements of work, and similar agreements.
- Perform contract research and interpretation, providing contract guidance and support on day-to-day issues raised under vendor contracts, including transactional and non-transactional vendor related matters across the company’s core services and business units, including people and culture, finance, real estate, studios production, office operations, and editorial.
- Lead the Legal & Business Affairs team in collaborating with the Finance organization and across the company to design and refine a cross-functional procurement and purchase order system.
- Assist in M&A and financing transactions from time to time as they may arise, including negotiating confidentiality agreements and other ancillary agreements and documents, managing due diligence, and assisting in all areas of deal planning and execution.
WHO YOU ARE
- JD and admitted to practice.
- At least two years of experience on a legal team that is accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment, either at a law firm or in-house at a technology or media company.
- Corporate, M&A, or similar transactional experience that provides exposure across a wide range of corporate issues and familiarity with various different types of agreements and practice areas.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues to business partners and provide a balanced and practical approach to legal drafting and problem solving.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Professional, personable, approachable and courteous demeanor.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, and a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, and strong legal drafting abilities.
- Strong desire to learn the business and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch!