Corporate Transactional/Environmental Paralegal
The Corporate Environmental Transaction Paralegal will provide legal and administrative support to one Senior Legal Counsel in Oregon, who has responsibility over commercial transactions/claims and litigation, environmental claims and litigation, intellectual property and government affairs in the Pacific Northwest area. Additionally, as the Corporate Environmental Transaction Paralegal you will assist in reviewing and responding to commercial and environmental claims and preparing basic transactional documents under supervision of Senior Counsel, including reviewing claims, researching transaction documents, researching legal issues, preparing chronologies, drafting basic commercial agreements, negotiating and drafting settlement agreements and preparing releases. Paralegal will also perform administrative assistant duties for Senior Legal counsel, including preparation of expense reports, travel arrangements, filing, procuring office supplies and scheduling of meetings.
Location: Portland, OR – Relocation may be provided for the right candidate.
Industry Preference: Environmental and Waste Disposal, Fuel, Transportation.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Review and redline routine and recurring contracts and other legal documents, including NDAs, service contracts, terms of RFP, RFI, RFQ and subconsultant contracts
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures, including the signing authority policy
- Respond to requests and escalations on contract management issues, policies and procedures
- Maintain records and files of executed business agreements and other agreements
- Finding and reviewing local, state and federal statutes, regulations and regulatory guidance documents
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Responsibilities may include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work and providing input on performance. This position is not responsible for disciplining employees or addressing employee complaints or grievances.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Associates Degree (accredited) with Paralegal emphasis (A.B.A Approved Paralegal Certificate preferred) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma (accredited) or GED (accredited) and two (2) years of relevant experience.
- Experience: Ten (10) years of previous legal experience (in addition to education requirements)
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- A.B.A. Approved Paralegal Certificate.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Preference will go to candidates with the following:
- Familiarity with federal, state and local laws.
- Paralegal Diploma/ Certificate – ABA Preferred
- Minimum 5 years of paralegal experience in a Corporate Firm or in-house legal environment
- 7+ years of legal experience with a strong emphasis on business, legal operations, leadership, commercial contracts, and complex transactions.
- Combination of law firm and inhouse experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to understand full scope of business operations and advise on implications of various actions.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently identify, structure and deploy Legal resources to support dynamic business needs.
- Proven contract negotiation, drafting and analytical skills, including experience negotiating with sophisticated, nationally recognized parties.
- Strong ability and willingness to be flexible, adaptable and cross functionally build relationships in a complex global environment.
- Ability to work both independently and with a diverse set of personalities in a team environment
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively, prioritization of a diverse workload, being resourceful and taking on additional responsibility.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) rarely;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”