Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
Come join us during this early stage and help us grow and scale the legal function. You will have an opportunity on making a large impact in many areas and work just not on transactions but on establishing processes that will help us meet Duolingo’s growing legal needs.
As product counsel you will help on advising not just our flagship language learning application and our English proficiency test, but you will also have an opportunity to work on exciting new products and initiatives like literacy, math, classes, and other new initiatives. You will have the opportunity to work on global matters with Duos all around the world and to touch all areas of the business from engineering to marketing to business development.
Duolingo engages in a large number of activities - we make content, we use machine learning, we license out the right to make branded goods, we have a taco stand! Working here will give you the opportunity to get exposure to many new areas of law should you so choose.
- Negotiate marketing, licensing, business development, research and other vendor agreements that support the business.
- Assist in other legal areas where needed, including compliance, international corporate expansion, intellectual property portfolio maintenance and privacy, by providing transactional support and helping establish scalable processes.
- 4+ years of experience with expertise in some or all of the following areas: data privacy, consumer protection, laws regulating apps and browser-based services and licensing (inbound, outbound and open source). In-house experience preferred.
- A solutions oriented mindset that will allow you to come up with solutions to achieve desired outcomes while minimizing legal risk.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with imperfect information.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Experience counseling consumer-facing internet companies on product issues, particularly companies with a freemium model or edtech.
- Privacy certification (CIPP, etc.)
- Experience counseling on consumer product issues internationally, particularly China, Japan, Europe and Brazil.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Because Duolingo requires all employees to return to work from an office, all employees will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to remain employed unless they have an exemption to vaccination pursuant to a required reasonable accommodation. This is so that our employees feel safe in the office.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.