Washington, District of Columbia, United States
The Communications Manager will manage external and internal messaging around issues relating to the Obama Administration legacy for the Foundation, connecting the work of the Obama Administration to the work of the Foundation today. Working closely with Foundation Communications leadership, other functions of the Creative Team, and across all Foundation teams, the manager will lead the development, planning, and execution of the Foundation communications strategies and serve as a key liaison to other departments throughout the Foundation. The position will report to the Communications Director.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Legacy Building: Support the Foundation’s communications efforts around the building of the Obama Presidential Center and the connection to the Obamas’ broader legacy.
- External Relationship Management: Communicate with media surrounding issues of importance connected to the President’s legacy and the continuation of progress through the work of Obama Foundation leaders.
- Comprehensive Storytelling: Respond to press inquiries and work with the Creative team to develop strategies around external legacy storytelling.
- Media Pitching: Identify earned media opportunities to lift up Obama alumni carrying forward the work of the Obama Administration today.
- Alumni Communication: Engage directly with Obama administration alumni to foster storytelling through email, social media, and digital platforms.
- Reporting and Analytics: Develop systems for tracking impact of communications strategies and internal reporting to communicate advancement towards goals.
- Internal Process Management: Develop guardrails and processes with internal teams including leadership, legal, and other departments to define key issue areas and opportunities that most closely align to the Foundation’s mission.
- Overarching Communications Support: Develop talking points, key messages, presentations, and media pitches in support of the Obama Presidential Center.
- Perform other duties as assigned: Be nimble and responsive in handling press inquiries and assisting Foundation teams in the development and execution of proactive outreach, messaging strategy, rapid response, and talking points for specific projects.
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Develop and maintain a media engagement plan and playbook for reporter inquiries.
- Create a calendar of milestones around key issues for media engagement and in partnership with the Creative Team for content development.
- Create regional and national surrogate lists to engage reporter inquiries around the legacy of the Obama Administration, in connection with the building of the Obama Presidential Center.
- Develop a communications strategy to reflect the ongoing work of the Foundation programs, process for building the Obama Presidential Center, and legacy of the Obama Administration and campaigns.
- Partner with the Alumni Relations team to develop a robust alumni engagement strategy to be managed and executed across the organization.
- Substantive knowledge of, and/or experience with, the Obama Administration or Obama campaigns.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to build a narrative across a range of formats.
- Proven experience planning and executing strategic communications plans.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a track record of meeting short- and long-term responsibilities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, high volume organization, with superior attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.