The Communications organization is a lean team, focused on expanding the external awareness and perception of Upstart and its mission to improve access to affordable credit. As Upstart has grown, so has the volume and variety of interest in the company. The communications team is responsible for coordinating activities across all external communications channels -- from media relations, press materials, partner publicity, external speaking, and third-party engagement.
As the Communications Director at Upstart, you will be responsible for all aspects of public relations -- drafting press releases, pitching media, drafting blog posts. You will work across the organization, in close coordination with Leadership, Marketing, Investor Relations, People and Operations, Partnerships, Compliance, Public Policy, Technology and Engineering. You will have a critical role in the awareness and esteem of Upstart's mission and products, in addition to being the key point of contact for internal and external high-level stakeholders.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: San Mateo, Columbus, and Remote
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the West Coast time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at the San Mateo, CA office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Provide internal guidance on communications to executives and leadership of the company
- Draft, edit and issue external materials for media
- Coordinate media interviews and briefings
- Develop relationships with media covering business, tech, and finance
- Work cross-functionally with other departments, including marketing, partnerships, public policy, people and operations, regulatory compliance, legal, product and engineering
- Monitor and assess media inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Craft strategies and tactical implementations to help promote products and services as well as help establish leadership in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, Fairness in Lending, and the Brand and Culture of the company
- Lead and manage agency resources.
- Demonstrated expertise communicating with various audiences for public relations -- including Consumer, B2B, Tech, and Finance
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience managing media relations at a fast-growth company or public relations agency (tech and finance experience is a plus)
- Sound problem identification, judgment, resolution and decision-making skills
- Has excellent writing skills and ability to take complex subjects and communicate them in a simple and approachable manner
- Organized and accountable with strong attention-to-detail and effective at prioritization
- Self-starter with the ability to work autonomously and remotely on a variety of hands-on projects and initiatives with minimal direction
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and achieve results in a fast-paced, highly collaborative and dynamic environment
- Understanding of rapidly evolving media landscape, familiarity with social media and direct and indirect communication channels
- Passion and enthusiasm for Upstart’s mission to use Artificial Intelligence to expand access to affordable credit
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
The minimum base pay for this position in Colorado is $155,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This information is provided in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Act. It is specific to Colorado and may not be applicable to other locations.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.