At UL, we know why we come to work.
Underwriters Laboratories is seeking a Communication Specialist within the Research Amplification team and Fire Safety Research Institute (FSRI). This pivotal role is well-suited for a strong, versatile candidate who can grasp complex concepts and bring them to life in both copy and creative. As FSRI’s Research Amplification Specialist, you will have the unique opportunity to work closely with research experts to learn about fire dynamics and translate those learnings into vital content that the informs industry practices, safety procedures, and behavior change. You will work across the organization on projects with engineers, other amplification team members, and management in support of execution against FSRI’s content strategy. It will be your primary responsibility to develop, support, and maintain content that supports our mission to address the world’s unresolved fire safety risks and emerging dangers.
Underwriters Laboratories Fire Safety Research Institute (FSRI) advances fire safety knowledge to address the world’s unresolved fire safety risks and emerging dangers. As part of Underwriters Laboratories Inc., the non-profit organization within the UL enterprise, we are committed to sharing our fire safety insights with everyone to advance UL’s public safety mission of providing safe living and working environments for people everywhere. Through advanced fire science, rigorous research, extensive outreach and education in collaboration with our international network of partners, we impart stakeholders with the information, tools and resources that enable them to make better, more fire-safe decisions that ultimately save lives and property. To learn more, visit FSRI.org.
What you’ll learn & achieve:
Reporting to the Manager of Research Amplification, you will collaborate with other members of the team to develop multi-faceted content to drive reach, engagement and ultimately application of FSRI’s research-driven insights. Campaigns you work on and lead will engage a variety of stakeholders across multiple touchpoints, including fire service professionals, fire investigators, fire protection engineers, safety educators, academia, government professionals, and the general public. It will be your responsibility to ensure FSRI’s content is accurate and on-brand, as well as smart, innovative, and engaging.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Communicating compelling stories and translating complex context in concise, clear ways to a technical audience.
- Working in a cross-functional team to develop content across all media, social media, events, print, press releases, articles, presentations, etc.
- Contributing to the performance of the organization’s brand identity and voice.
- Brainstorming creative approaches to presenting information and driving demand through content.
- Reviewing and critiquing content, consulting, and directing where needed.
- Planning, writing, editing, testing, and improving copy.
- Selecting photography, video, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate messaging.
- Working independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
- Proofreading and editing for accuracy and consistency.
Underwriters Laboratories has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What makes you a great fit:
Minimum knowledge preferred
- Degree in marketing, communications, or related field.
- Minimum of three to five years related discipline experience or demonstrated competency including.
- Experience supporting a non-profit, scientific or research organization, or a purpose marketing role is a plus.
- Experience with B2B and B2C a plus.
Minimum skills preferred:
- Proven track record of producing high-quality creative and unique content across multiple types, platforms, and applications, including, copywriting for various audiences, image selection, video selection, infographic development, etc.
- Mastery of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent proofreading skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
Minimum abilities preferred:
- Understanding of the planning, development, and distribution of content — in written form or in other media.
- Ability to understand technical and scientific issues and to tailor/translate complex information into meaningful content for multiple audiences.
- Substantial verbal communication, listening, and interviewing skills.
- Skilled in managing projects, multitasking, meeting deadlines, and working independently.
- Hands-on experience with content and asset management systems.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For Underwriters Laboratories, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 127 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any Underwriters Laboratories employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at Underwriters Laboratories. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at Underwriters Laboratories are eligible for bonus compensation. Underwriters Laboratories offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that Underwriters Laboratories contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
UL is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female/Minority/disability/Protected Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity