Cloud Software Engineer
The O’Reilly Media’s Cloud Engineering team is made up of a diverse set of engineers tasked with managing the microservices and infrastructure that power O’Reilly’s cloud learning.
We’re a highly collaborative and supportive team that focuses on ensuring each member of the team is exposed to as much of our stack as possible. We believe in “raising the water level” so that each member of the team is given an opportunity to grow and to help others grow.
Salary Range: $130,000 - $160,000
About the Job
The Cloud Software Engineer position encompasses responsibilities that include creating and maintaining new microservices and infrastructure that enable cloud learning on the O’Reilly platform.
This job is different from your traditional Cloud DevOps role as you’ll be spending a significant amount of time in code building software to scale up and tear down cloud infrastructure.
Your day-to-day workload will vary but you can expect that some of the following tasks will be common occurrences:
- Create and maintain microservices that automate cloud operations in all major clouds
- Working with RESTful APIs
- Writing or debugging Unit tests for your code
- Writing or debugging Terraform to create or update infrastructure
- Using Datadog to debug and monitor services our team owns
- Thinking through and designing solutions for delivering cloud services to our customers
- Triaging an issue in a microservice
- Develop microservices, tooling, and infrastructure that helps support cloud learning
- Actively recommend improvements to company infrastructure and product vision
- Keep apprised of new developments in cloud solutions and educate other team members on related skills
- Document system and service configurations and procedures
- Monitor systems, applications, services, and network performance/availability
- Execute on implementation and execution of project plans
- Establish and recommend policies on system use and services
- Work with the team to help maintain the overall security of the Platform
For Cloud Engineers, we are interested in individuals with a background in software engineering and solid knowledge of cloud infrastructure skills. We desire conscientious candidates who work comfortably in an autonomous fashion, self-driven agile environment. You should be willing and able to work with a small focused team to bring individual features to fruition, but also to work with the broader team of engineers to collaborate on initiatives that span the whole learning platform. We value colleagues who are helpful, respectful, communicate openly, and are always willing to do what’s best for our users.
We invite developers who value automated testing and welcome code reviews as an essential element of continuous learning. The people on our platform team have taken many traditional and non-traditional paths to the developer profession, and we welcome diverse teams that are bound together by a mutual love for learning.
- Familiar with cloud infrastructure ( GCP, AWS, or Azure )
- Software Development experience writing code
- Experience building API’s or microservices
- Excellent oral communication skills and good writing skills
- Knowledge of at least one SQL database system such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Bonus for knowledge of Terraform and its use in practice
- 4-year college degree in Computer Science or related field, or combination of relevant education and experience
- 3+ years of proven experience in Software development
- 2+ years of proven experience with cloud infrastructure
- Experience with creating and maintaining microservices
At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our whole organization to recognize, include, and encourage people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, and professional roles.