Grist is a nonprofit, independent media organization dedicated to highlighting climate solutions and uncovering environmental injustices. Since 1999, we have used the power of journalism to engage the public about the perils of the most existential threat we face. Now that three-quarters of Americans recognize that climate change is happening, we’ve shifted our focus to show that a just and sustainable future is within reach.
Grist is looking for a Climate Solutions Fellow to join our Fix storytelling team. As Grist’s solutions lab, Fix seeks to amplify and elevate the work of emerging climate leaders by combining creative storytelling with network-building and events.
The Climate Solutions Fellow will research and write stories about innovative ideas for what a sustainable, equitable future could look like, and the people working towards it right now, contributing to Fix’s bi-monthly digital magazine issues exploring themes in climate and justice, and to Fix’s Looking Forward newsletter. This fellowship will run for six months, beginning January 31, 2022.
THE GRIST FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
As a climate solutions fellow at Grist, you will be a part of our larger fellowship program, which aims to provide a formative experience in a geographically distributed but tight-knit media organization and professional development for early-career journalists and storytellers. We will encourage full participation in staff discussions and meetings and seek input on issues large and small.
Fellows can be based anywhere in the United States. Global health conditions permitting, at a future date there may be opportunities to work out of Grist’s Seattle office or New York co-working space. All fellows who work remotely will be encouraged to report on stories in their home community.
In special cases, the fellowship will be renewable once by mutual agreement between the fellow and Grist. Renewal candidates will be considered alongside the applicant pool for the next fellowship cycle.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute timely, well-researched story ideas with a focus on interesting solutions and inspiring people in the climate justice space. .
- Pitch and write a variety of storytelling work, including profiles, Q&As, and reported features, to run in Fix’s digital magazine issues..
- Report short profiles for Fix’s Looking Forward newsletter, and contribute additional newsletter research and writing.
- Collaborate with other members of the Fix team on storytelling projects and cross-team initiatives, including events..
- Other duties, like research, production, fact-checking or copy-editing, may be assigned from time to time as needed.
- Four-year degree, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong understanding of Grist’s brand
- Passion for climate and environmental journalism, with a focus on equity
- Demonstrated experience in writing and reporting
- Ability to make a full-time, six-month commitment
- This fellowship is a paid, six-month opportunity ($3334/month) for early-career journalists
- Fellows are eligible for Grist health benefits coverage, including medical, vision, and dental
- Fellows come away with six months of solid newsroom experience, a body of clips, and fluency in climate and environmental justice issues
- Fellows across Grist meet regularly as a cohort with members of the editorial staff to develop skills and content knowledge specific to the climate beat
- Through our Newsroom Training Series, fellows are also trained on a range of crucial skills, from filing FOIA requests to script-writing
- Fellows benefit from full integration into the workings of a busy and exciting nonprofit media organization
Applicants must submit the following application materials. Please note that applications without both a resume and cover letter will not be considered.
- Cover letter, including links to two writing samples. We are looking for a succinct, thoughtful cover letter that explains what you are passionate about when it comes to climate solutions, and how you would like to tell that story at Fix. Please also include links to two writing samples within your cover letter (or alternatively, append them to the end of your cover letter).
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: PLEASE READ
Cover letters must be uploaded as a separate attachment via Smart Recruiter. Please include “Climate Solutions Fellow” in the document title. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For fellowships that begin January 31 2022, please submit applications by November 15, 2021.
No phone calls, please.
Cultivating an inclusive staff is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.