Chief Marketing Officer
At Bed Bath & Beyond, we believe that everyone should “Be You!”. Bed Bath & Beyond is a community that upholds a culture of understanding, acceptance, and respect. We believe a person’s individuality is at the core of diversity, and those traits, beliefs, and characteristics should be valued and embraced. Living by this ethos is essential to the success of our business. Our goal is to foster a more diverse environment where every employee visibly demonstrates inclusive behaviors and respect for individuals.
This position is eligible for remote work. Currently we can hire employees in the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming. This role will have occasional on site expectations.
The Chief Marketing Officer will:
- Be a growth minded and collaborative leader who creates and implements innovative and comprehensive marketing strategies designed to grow our active customer base and drive market share growth within and to achieve the company’s financial metrics.
- Lead customer acquisition and retention efforts and organic search efforts for the company.
- Foster a mobile-first mentality throughout the marketing team and company.
- Define, articulate, and execute marketing strategies that align with the overall corporate business strategy and guides all marketing efforts to execute the company brand strategy leading to increased awareness and relevance among target audiences.
- Identify & leverage marketing technology to enhance acquisition and retention efforts as well as research and analyze market data to identify and understand trends in consumer markets and determine ways to reach and persuade consumers to buy from the company’s product portfolio.
Reports directly to the President as the top marketing executive and is responsible for all marketing-related business activities. Manages all marketing employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Lead the company’s rebranding efforts to transition legacy customers to the new Bed Bath & Beyond brand while acquiring new Bed Bath & Beyond customers and establishing the Bed Bath & Beyond brand as a go-to in the furniture and home furnishings market.
- Drives and implements all strategic marketing activities, initiatives and campaigns that may impact or reinforce brand positioning and awareness across all marketing channels and consumer touchpoints.
- Creates marketing events, including social media campaigns, that drive sustainable, profitable growth through the various channels of the eCommerce marketing platform, including organic growth (SEO).
- Leads all marketing communication to ensure clear, consistent marketing messages about products, brand, and value proposition to each market segment. Utilizes brand identity to personalize customer experiences across all channels in unique ways that differentiates the company from its competitors.
- Prioritizes, translates, and focuses digital capabilities, including database and CRM, into revenue campaigns and activities to create interest and guide consumers to company websites in search of product offerings and portfolios.
- Develops and executes promotions and events and leads all aspects of marketing planning, budgeting, metrics, and reporting.
- Researches the latest marketing tools and technologies and determines how those will improve the company’s response to market demands for products and services. Creates strategies to implement new marketing tools and technologies and evaluates the effectiveness of changes to marketing strategy.
- Collaborates with corporate leaders such as the Chief Financial Officer to achieve company financial recipe card and Chief Merchandising Officer to develop compelling merchandise and trend right focused promotional events.
- Creates and maintains the company’s marketing organization and identifies duties and responsibilities for each functional group in the department. Oversees the interaction of marketing teams and guides the progress and activities of the organization toward the company’s strategic marketing plans and goals.
- Defines target customer segments and markets, refines, and improves the product value proposition and implements market-penetration/acquisition strategy.
- Assesses the need for external marketing resources/agencies. Leads and manages relations with outside advertising and MarTech, media and promotion agencies, including contract negotiations and optimizes marketing communication processes to ensure overall message effectiveness and cost efficiency.
- Research eCommerce marketing trends and identifies the elements of successful marketing characteristics. Conducts and analyzes market research to determine the company’s competitive position in the market. Develops strategic marketing plans and programs and guides the implementation of campaigns and projects associated with those programs.
- Experience hiring and leading diverse teams
- Follow prescribed legal policies and guidelines as directed by the Legal Department.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 15 years of eCommerce marketing experience, including at least five years of senior leadership experience within an ecommerce environment is required.
- Must demonstrate significant leadership experience leading the marketing function and choosing, deploying, and leveraging marketing and MarTech resources.
- Must demonstrate a keen business intellect along with strong business and P&L acumen.
- Must demonstrate a vision of the role that marketing plays in strategic corporate business programs.
- Must effectively collaborate and engage with Chief Merchandising Officer to market a balanced mix of hardlines and softlines merchandise that speak to all of our target customers and achieve our target average order size and other key KPIs.
- Must invite opinions and perspective of others and engage colleagues in a dialogue to gain alignment and commitment.
- Must be able to manage and develop a team of senior marketing leaders and successfully balance competing resources and activities.
- Must exhibit intent based leadership skills to effectively manage direct reports and the marketing organization, including the ability mentor team members, help with career development and provide coaching and guidance through challenges and opportunities.
- Must have exceptional operational and project management skills and demonstrate flexibility to effectively change marketing strategies and programs.
- Must be able to implement measurable marketing strategies that achieve revenue goals and reach target segments quickly and effectively to increase market awareness with consumers.
- Must be able to track, analyze and manage big data and marketing metrics.
- Must demonstrate superior strategic marketing capabilities and be able to blend the art and science of marketing.
- Must demonstrate executive level verbal and written communication skills and be able to convey complex marketing ideas and concepts to all organizational levels up to and including Board of Directors and key shareholders.
Performance and personal competencies required for the position include the following:
Data-driven business executive with strategic marketing expertise. Strong analytical skills and application to make impactful decisions on overall marketing spend, including customer acquisition and promotional, return on investments and the effective use of the customer data and insights provided by the Customer Organization. Must demonstrate creativity and market innovation with a demonstrable track record of excellence in driving top line and bottom-line results.
Executing for Results
Leads by example with a strong bias for action. Must be decisive yet gain perspective and input from others before making key decisions. Must be able to direct the marketing team, set objectives and key OKRs, allocate resources and drive accountability through the organization to ensure achievement of results.
Proven leader with a track record of building a fast-moving team driven by outstanding results. Must be a developer of people one who possesses special skills in selecting/training talent, delegating responsibility, motivating, and developing a dynamic environment.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
Must demonstrate a collaborative approach, openly sharing information and receptive to the ideas of others. Must demonstrate executive level verbal and written communication skills and be able to convey complex marketing ideas and concepts to all organizational levels up to and including Board of Directors and key stockholders. Must operate equally effectively in formal and informal settings and be comfortable challenging conventional wisdom at highest levels of organization, including handling conflict in an objective and constructive way.
An advanced degree in Marketing, Business, or related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Who We Are:
We’re a passionate group of collaborative problem solvers and creative innovators, working on cutting-edge technology. From building award-winning retail applications (with amazing AR functionality) to creating leading blockchain and machine learning technologies, each of us embodies a unique value and contributes a diverse perspective to the team.
What We Offer:
- 401k (6% match)
- Flexible Schedules
- Onsite Health Clinic
- Tuition Reimbursement, Leadership Development Program, & Mentorship Program
- Onsite Fitness Center
- Employee Resource Groups (LatinX, Black Employee Network, LGBTQIA+, Women’s Network, Women In Tech)
- And More…
Benefits vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election
This position requires you to sit, stand and perform general office functions. You may also be required to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally. Bending, stooping and reaching are also frequently required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and associates. This policy includes our commitment to ensure that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, pregnancy, veteran status (including Vietnam era veterans), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other non-job-related characteristic protected by law.