Chief Environmental Engineer
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Under limited supervision, plans, organizes, manages and evaluates the Environmental programs and systems.
- Develops, recommends, supervises and assesses environmental safety, compliance, remediation, and reclamation programs
- Supervises, enhances and monitors air quality environmental practices for the site
- Reports environmental compliance issues and makes recommendations to appropriate site management for correction
- Serves as Project Manager on large/complex environmental projects (e.g., air quality compliance, permitting, remediation, or reclamation)
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- Provides guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable programs, practices, and existing/proposed local, State and Federal regulations
- Contributes to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for environmental systems and issues
- Oversees or investigates and maintains records of environmental incidents and responses as required by law
- Maintains current working knowledge of Federal, State and local environmental and occupational health regulations (e.g., CERCLA, RCRA, TOSCA, SARA, CWA, EPCRA etc)
- Oversees and coordinates all training mandated by EPA, DEQ or other body. Serves as contact with EPA, DEQ or other regulatory body in designated areas
- May represent the site on company-sponsored steering teams, e.g., Freeport-McMoRan Environmental Steering Team
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Environmental, Civil, Chemical, Agriculture, Mining, Metallurgical, Geological or similar) and seven (7) years of Engineering experience in Environmental Management, including Project Management experience, OR
- Master's degree in Engineering or related field and five (5) years of Engineering experience in Environmental Management, including Project Management experience.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability