Chief Accounting Officer
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
BuzzFeed Inc. is looking for a Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) to lead our accounting team and help us scale for the future, in a fast-paced environment that’s growing rapidly. As a key member of the executive leadership team, the Chief Accounting Officer will report to the CFO and assume a strategic role for managing the accounting the functions.
You will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of accounting and financial reporting by providing outstanding leadership, critical thinking with an ability to extend beyond just the world of accounting. You are someone experienced in building and growing teams and passionate about promoting strong business partner relationships.
This role can be office-based in Los Angeles or New York City.
- Serve as a strategic financial business partner to the CEO, CFO, President and Executive Leadership team
- Assistance with preparation of financial and accounting reports for management, board and investors.
- Lead all areas of accounting, both technical and transactional including financial reporting, technical accounting, consolidation, SEC reporting, and international accounting including IFRS, compliance and financial systems. Responsible for the development and implementation of accounting policies.
- Accountable for the quarterly SEC reporting process including the review of complex financial statement schedules and the drafting of disclosure language and narrative.
- Establish, monitor and maintain internal controls over financial reporting
- Lead a high-performance, high-potential, and diverse accounting team, serving as a strong positive leader, mentor and advisor who is willing to roll up their sleeves to work alongside the team and share process and technical expertise to continually evolve the organization’s capabilities.
- Responsible for Audit Committee interactions and approvals as they carry out their fiduciary duties
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Determine accounting and tax implications for all material business decisions.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements including the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts, and overhead cost allocation.
- Assure conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices in accordance with US GAAP
- Collaborate across the company to improve controls, enhance processes and advance company performance.
- Instill a performance culture resulting in meaningful cross functional business process transformation and automation to increase efficiency and effectiveness, as well as meeting the needs of a high growth business in multiple locations.
- Coordinate and strategize methods used to attain team goals and initiatives with directors and managers
- Maintain ultimate ownership of all corporate accounting software systems including, but not limited to, the general ledger and GL reconciliation solutions. Continually evaluate the adequacy of such systems and recommend new technologies to improve efficiency or streamline operations.
- 15+ years of experience leading a global accounting function, dealing with complex accounting matters in a public company environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- CPA required
- Exhibits a strong understanding of US GAAP and IFRS and keeps up-to-date with SEC legislation so that the Company maintains in compliance
- Strong expertise with accounting policy, GAAP accounting and FASB pronouncements.
- Ability to research GAAP and regulatory guidance and applying those or any changes to the Company.
- Prior Big 4, 10+ years public accounting / audit experience.
- Industry experience in CPG, media, or publishing is preferred.
- Has strong knowledge of theory, standards, and principles of accounting.
- Capability of developing and/or monitoring of internal controls, financial reporting, Securities and Exchange Commission filings and regulatory reporting.
- Effective communication skills to translate complex data into meaningful and easy to use information.
- Ability to communicate with staff, middle management, senior management and Board of Directors.
- Exceptional managerial and team building skills.
- Solid writing, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to utilize technology in solving problems and performing duties.
- Committed to continuous learning and improvement (self and team).
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.