Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Conduct and oversee research, analysis, synthesis and experimentation of substances, for the purpose of ore analysis and process development, evaluation and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, along with development and improvement of analytical methodologies. Provide guidance and may assist with supervision of Laboratory Technicians.
- Establish, supervise and may perform chemical and/or metallurgical analysis of process samples or final products using classical wet chemistry and instrumental analytical techniques; analyze data and report findings
- Has a thorough understanding of and operate laboratory instrumentation and equipment including troubleshooting, calibration, specific applications and oversee maintenance processes
- Review, test and make recommendations for new or enhanced laboratory equipment or protocols
- Contribute to new research and analytical method development; matching testing procedures or mining processes to ore body specific issues and developing appropriate techniques/SOPs and safety protocols
- Prepare timely and accurate reports and deliver presentations on processes and projects to Chemists, Engineers, Metallurgists and management
- Research quality control/quality analysis issues and make recommendations to Sr. Chemist/Chief Chemist for evaluation/correction
- Evaluate and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- Maintain current working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local regulations
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or very closely related field with a strong emphasis in Chemistry (e.g., Chemical Engineering, Biology)
- Knowledge of the principles and methods used in complex chemical, laboratory and quality assurance analyses
- Current knowledge of laboratory instrumentation
- Familiarity with modern analytical chemistry instrumentation methods
- Good decision making skills regarding proper laboratory technique and comparative laboratory procedures
- Ability to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written
- Must have good application of computer programs and basic understanding of statistical data analysis
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 40 pounds) during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability