- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience as a facilities manager or operations manager or chief engineer including leading technical teams.
- Experience in site-level data center or mission critical facility management.
- Bachelor's degree in Operational and Industrial Engineering, or Business.
- 10 years of leadership in operations, data center operations, Infrastructure, or technology based business units.
- Experience with controls system leadership (e.g. PLC, ladder logic, UI, alarms, I/O, etc.).
- Working knowledge and application of lean principles: statistical process control, six sigma, value stream mapping, standard work, kaizen events.
- Ability to operate in a technical environment (agile, adaptable).
- Cross-team (global, multicultural, and organizational) and cross-functional capabilities in a fast paced business environment.
About the job
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As a Hardware Operations Manager, you will manage a team of Data Center Technicians. You will oversee the quality installation of server hardware and components and take charge of complicated installations/troubleshooting.
Your team will install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). They will also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. They may lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans.
Together we operate and transform the world’s leading data centers. The Central Operations team globally manages programs and standards across the Data Center Infrastructure Operations fleet.
In this role you will provide the leadership and operations management around three core functions of the Data Center, Central Operations Team: leadership for Data Center Operations Control systems (e.g. PLC, UI, alarming), Infrastructure product quality (e.g. MTBF of DIMMs, HDD and FPY of product platforms (servers)), and development of a function to drive improved interface across change control, communication, and improvement activities.
You will cross-functionally collaborate with core teams in Global Server Operations, Supply Chain and Procurement, Data Center Operations, Advanced Technology and Innovation, Data Center Engineering, and other various core teams.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Manage managers and individual contributors on globally distributed teams of varied sizes.
- Develop and drive strategy, execution, and improvements to key metrics, performance, and outcomes for Infrastructure Product/Process quality (FPY, MTBF/MTBR).
- Develop an improve cross-functional team interface between Engineering, Implementation, and field users of control systems (alarms, user interface).
- Develop business processes and teams to improve the processes around change management, global communications, and continuous improvement activities.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to establish bi-annual objectives and execution.