The Category Manager position is responsible for managing category leadership solutions for Family Dollar/Dollar Tree for the Mars/Wrigley Confectionery businesses including Chocolate Candy, Non-Chocolate Candy, Gum, Mints, Seasonal Candy, and Snacks. This role is expected to provide fact and insight based solutions that drive growth for the category, Family Dollar/Dollar Tree, and Mars/Wrigley. Utilizing shopper insight, opportunity identification and full understanding of products, assortment, pricing, placement, shelving, promotion, and merchandising, this role is the primary insight provider for our categories at Family Dollar/Dollar Tree. The key objective of this role is to develop strategic initiatives that lead to marketplace actions for the Confectionery Category. This role will work closely with internal and external partners.
This role is part of the Category Leadership organization and reports to the Value Channel Director of Category Leadership.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor's degree required
- 2-4 years of experience in Category Management, Sales, or advanced analytics
- Business Analytics skills or experience
- Experience in CPG and/or retail
- The knowledge, skills, and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a Bachelor's degree, or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with syndicated data software (i.e., IRI or Nielsen)
- Experience working in Assortment Planning or Space Management Software (i.e. Apollo, Intercept, JDA etc)
- Experience with promotional / non promotional strategy development
- Experience working with Microsoft programs specifically Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to manage cross functional/multi-task projects
- Strong strategic problem-solving skills
- Solid written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and meet deadlines
- The ability to travel less than 5% of the time
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Work collaboratively with external/internal partners to develop and activate growth strategies and tactics for the confectionery category at Family Dollar and Dollar Tree.
- Work to lead the FD/DT Category Team in order to create and plan category leadership solutions that deliver profitable sales growth for MW and the customer. These solutions should include shopper and category insights focused on products, assortment, placement, shelving, pricing, promotions, and merchandising optimization.
- Where appropriate, manage and deliver against the responsibilities of the Category Captaincy/Advisory process in partnership with Family Dollar and Dollar Tree.
- Influence the customer by identifying specific opportunities, lead in research and testing projects to deliver category leadership solutions benefitting both FD/DT and the Confectionery Category.
- Be comfortable with, and utilize, best in class category tools and resources to bring solid category insights to the buyer and senior leadership at FD/DT. Tools may include, but are not limited to the following: IRI, Nielsen, syndicated and panel database resources, JDA, space management software, Nielsen ASO Incrementality tool, market research findings, etc.
- Influence Annual Account Business Planning at FD/DT, through collaborative partnering with sales team, by providing actionable category insights and solutions that support category leadership objectives for customer, company and category
- Serve as a team resource for Category reporting and scorecarding.
- Serve as a team resource for planogram development and delivery to both Family Dollar and Dollar Tree.
- Evaluate/ monitor all customer category leadership solutions, turn analysis into recommended action and continually improve to be more effective and efficient in executing business building opportunities at FD/DT.
Must be able to confidently present to internal and external leadership business partners.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.