If you are a self-motivated individual who thrives in complex situations, are passionate about strategic sourcing, and have experience with packaging categories, then this is the job for you! As the Category Lead, Packaging, you will be responsible for Category Strategy, Strategic Sourcing, Critical Supplier Management and Stakeholder Management for the packaging category. The Category Lead will lead all strategic sourcing initiatives for the assigned Category Strategy and collaborate with others on the Procurement team to support organizational initiatives. The ideal candidate is energetic, collaborative, and forward- thinking.
This position is based out of Toronto, ON.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage categories of intermediate to high complexity using strategic sourcing principles Categories include but are not limited to folding cartons, rigid plastics, labels and corrugated
- Conduct research, gather market intelligence and benchmarking analysis to understand the supply market and commodity trends
- Continuously identify and implement strategies and improvement initiatives to reduce cost, improve quality and result in a lower total cost of ownership
- Develop analytical processes and savings/performance improvement metrics/KPI’s to monitor progress and ensure savings and performance targets are achieved
- Pilot performance improvement initiatives defined by the category strategy including strategic sourcing and other performance improvement initiatives
- Identify, develop and manage the execution of opportunities to drive continuous improvement across spend categories
- Grow the process to identify critical suppliers and facilitate management of critical supplier relationships through KPI and SLA performance, continuous improvement initiatives and a perspective on the external market to identify trends and changes. Evaluate and analyze suppliers through Supplier Risk Management program and lead appropriate mitigation strategies
- Develop and maintain supplier criticality ratings and manage resulting critical supplier relationships
- Oversee supplier relationships including conducting Quarterly Business Reviews with critical suppliers and Executive Sponsors
- Engage and manage stakeholders impacted by their respective expenditure categories by delivering strategies and initiatives that create value for the organization.
- Grow successful partnerships with key stakeholders’ / business partners to achieve desired results
- Support and manage cross-functional category management and strategic sourcing teams as needed
- Collaborate with stakeholders to drive needed decisions to achieve desired results
You’ll need to have:
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Education: University degree or College diploma preferred, however combination of related procurement training and considerable experience may be considered an equivalent
- Designations: Certified professional procurement designation or equivalent preferred
- Experienced negotiating complex agreements with suppliers and key internal stakeholders
- Overseen and conducted market research & benchmarking analysis
- Has identified and implemented innovative solutions
- Understands how to effectively analyze data to determine relevant insights & actions
- Proven track record of tackling complex problems (e.g. outside immediate scope, impacts multiple stakeholders, etc.) often mobilizing resources from other functional groups and/or geographic boundaries
- Demonstrate appropriate business decisions despite incomplete information, risks and pressures
- Collaborated with internal business partners and suppliers to implement solutions
- Subject matter expert who shares procurement/supply chain knowledge to ensure awareness throughout the company
- Position is located in Toronto however, travel will be required
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.