Business Communications Lead
Northrop GrummanRedondo Beach, CAa month ago
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you’ll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today. The Communications function at Northrop Grumman’s is looking for a Business Communications Lead (PR Rep 4) who knows how to catch eyes and earn coverage with innovative engagement strategies, a digital-savvy approach to influencer targeting and -- most importantly -- riveting storytelling.
If you love the idea of working with some of the smartest aerospace engineers in the world to tell stories about some of the most complex technical challenges ever attempted by humankind, this might be your dream job. If your approach to modern public relations involves feature stories, blogs, podcasting, experiential events and relationship-building – supplemented with the occasional traditional press release – you might be our dream team member.
Experience with data-driven audience targeting, engagement, measurement and retargeting would be impressive icing on the cake.
More about you:
• You’re a PR professional who knows a great story when you see it, and how to persuade others to cover it.
• You have an extensive network of print, digital and broadcast media contacts (extra credit if they’re contacts who focus on the aerospace & defense / technology industries.)
• You believe the press release is just one component of a modern, omni-channel media engagement strategy.
• You love brainstorming, and can pitch an outside-the-box tactic better than anyone you know.
• You’re creative, tech-savvy, and fascinated by the latest communications tools and technologies.
• You have excellent writing skills and are passionate about telling compelling stories.
• You live by prioritization and organization, and possess a borderline-fanatical attention to detail.
• You’re positive, poised and approachable, able to work independently and in partnership with senior executives/employees, and confident in offering communications counsel to business partners.
• You thrive in fast-paced, action-oriented environments and are able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, reprioritize quickly and meet deadlines.
• You have a demonstrated understanding of communications and global topics, priorities and trends.
• You’re a little bit (or a lot bit) of a nerd, and you love all things related to space exploration and science.
More about the job:
• You’ll report to the External Communications Manager and join an eight-member team tasked with business, crisis and executive communications, editorial and content generation, and community affairs.
• In partnership with the team, you’ll research, write and edit press materials including press releases, fact sheets, pitch letters, Q&As, media alerts, speaking points and presentations.
• You’ll partner with customer public affairs teams to obtain permissions for and reviews of all externally-facing PR content as required by contractual agreements.
• You’ll assist in the planning, execution, and pitching of leadership media & speaking events.
• You’ll provide detailed performance reporting and weekly coverage reports.
• You’ll work with the sector and corporate PR and Media Engagement teams to ensure all activities align with overall goals and strategies.
• A bachelor’s degree and 10 or more years of public relations and media engagement experience; or a master’s degree and 8 or more years of public relations and media engagement experience. Four additional years of experience may be considered in lieu of the degree.
• Active Secret or TS/SCI clearance
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, SharePoint and OneDrive
• Experience with Associated Press style
• Outstanding writing skills
• Top-notch presentation and speaking skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Highly organized and detail-oriented
• Ability to work independently while managing multiple deliverables
• Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn about complex, highly technical topics
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
• Although infrequent, domestic and international travel may be required
• Experience with audience analysis, segmentation and targeting
• Experience with content performance measurement and analysis
Our team is responsible for all internal and external communications activities supporting the Strategic Space Systems division of Northrop Grumman’s Space Systems business, including:
• Employee & Site Communications
• Public Relations & Media Engagement
• Marketing, Advertising & Branding
• Public Affairs
• Executive Communications
• Thought Leadership
• Editorial & Content Production
• Proposal Design & Content
• Animation, Videography, Photography & Graphic Design
• The “Space in Motion” On-Site Museum
We’re more concerned with the quality and timeliness of your work than where you do it, so we’re fine with remote work on a regular basis. But you’ll also need to be on site when necessary, so all candidates must reside in the area. Relocation assistance is available for ideal candidates willing to give the SoCal lifestyle a try. If you read all of the above and think this would be an awesome opportunity, apply and consider joining our team!
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.