Bilingual Environmental Sustainability Manager
Bimbo Canada is a market leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread, bakery and snacking products with brands such as Dempster’s®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben’s®, Stonemill,® McGavins,® Orowheat®, Vachon® and Takis®. The company operates 16 bakeries and employs approximately 4,200 associates across Canada. Bimbo Canada pursues the goal of creating value by being at the forefront of manufacturing and service delivery innovation in the baking industry through the continued improvement and refinement of its supply chain network. Bimbo Canada serves major grocery chains, retail outlets and food service operations across Canada with a robust offering of both branded and private label products.
Reporting to the Director, Environment & Sustainability, you will help Bimbo Canada execute its 10-year sustainability strategy by working with engineering leaders and other key stakeholders across the organization to develop and implement sustainable practices to meet our environmental sustainability targets. The nature of this role means that no two projects will be the same, so you will need to think on your feet and challenge existing practices to develop answers to complex issues. You will also be collaborating with associates in multiple functions and at multiple levels of the organization, both locally and in our global office, so we will look to you to build relationships, identify opportunities and build effective strategies to grow engagement as we work together to strengthen our sustainability culture.
This role presents an opportunity for continued growth and development across many sustainability aspects, including sustainable technology, climate change mitigation, renewable energy, energy efficiency, water conservation, packaging, circular economy, regenerative agriculture, and others, all in the context of a large, complex organization. Making an impact to improve our world is at the centre of this role.
Progress the environmental aspects of the implementation of the sustainability strategy with initiatives designed to achieve savings while contributing to environmental protection.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Devising strategies to meet targets, benchmark and establish/implement global best practices
- Establishing tools and mechanisms to track and monitor progress across all facilities
- Defining, prioritizing and leading the implementation of sustainability initiatives to advance the strategy
- Engaging with various functional partners across the organization to understand and support initiatives and targets within their area of the business that also have an environmental impact. Coordinating meetings, check-ins, training or other to ensure timely progression.
- Work directly with plant management across Canada to achieve and maintain environmental compliance across air, water, waste, noise, and other facets.
- Stay apprised of any relevant changes in environmental legislation at all levels of government that could impact our business.
- Identify, apply for, and win funding for sustainability projects across the areas of GHG mitigation, energy efficiency, food waste reduction, and innovation/automation.
- In partnership with engineering team leads, plant managers, and vendors, provide technical leadership and project management to:
- Identify initiatives to reduce utility use and food waste;
- Raise awareness on various types of emissions, waste and environmental impacts and work together to determine improvement plans (ie. Food loss, water, energy, thermal, recycling, waste)
- Works closely with our energy management partners to develop new energy conservation and infrastructure improvement measures and leverage potential financial incentives through supplier channels, while also:
- Managing energy monitoring, verification, auditing
- Contributing to procurement activities in partnership with procurement team
- Monitor changes in industry sustainability reporting standards and trends.
- Manage and develop Sustainability Analyst who will report directly to you – this includes the responsibility for coaching, mentoring and developing talent.
- Oversee internal reporting conducted by the Sustainability Analyst.
- Explore certification opportunities and provide recommendations and cost/benefit analysis.
- Assess and lead training as required on tools, systems, program and environmental awareness, which may include the need to produce educational or information resources for internal use.
- Manage relationships and contracts with relevant consultants and suppliers.
- Very occasional travel will be required across Canada to various facilities to assist with implementation and training as required.
Skills and Attributes for Success:
- Work effectively as a leader and team member, by sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating team leaders on progress; while taking accountability for progressing results.
- Ability to quickly establish personal credibility and high levels of confidence among stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills that enable you to build internal relationships with other functions across the organization.
- Outstanding communication skills are essential. You will need to be able to leverage different communication mediums and simplify messaging, so that the right combination of medium/message is used depending on the audience.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Fluency in French is required; fluency in Spanish is an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, engineering, or another relevant discipline.
- 3-10 years of experience in implementing and managing corporate sustainability programs, energy conservation, environmental compliance, and securing external project funding.
- P.Eng. license and Certified Energy Manager designation are major assets.
- Master’s degree in business/sustainability, or additional relevant certifications are an asset.
- Superior understanding of Canadian environmental law and regulations, and experience in industrial compliance across air, water, waste, and noise.
- Experience using one or more of the international guidelines (such as GRI, UN Global Compact, GHG Protocol, SASB) is required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Sharepoint.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
Please note all offers of employment at Bimbo Canada Company, Limited are conditional upon the successful completion of a pre-hire background check. This may include anything up to and including a criminal history check, reference checks and/or credit check. Bimbo Canada Company, Limited is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity, equity and belonging in the workplace and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities. We welcome applications from all interested individuals; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Job seekers with disabilities who require accommodation during the recruitment process or would like more details about accessibility should contact Bimbo Canada Accessibility.