Become an Attorney at Southern California Edison (SCE) in the Corporate and Securities section of the Law Department and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll be primarily responsible for ensuring SCE’s and Edison International’s compliance with securities laws, advising management on disclosure issues, and monitoring legal developments in securities laws. You will report to a Director/Managing Attorney and will also work in other areas of the Section as needed. You must be able to work independently and be attentive to detail.
We are seeking a candidate who can simultaneously lead a wide range of assignments, work quickly and effectively under pressure, and prioritize activities. A high level of professionalism, diplomacy and judgment is also essential. As an Attorney, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Work closely with SCE’s financial reporting staff to prepare the companies’ Securities and Exchange Commission filings under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K.
- Monitor and advise management on new legal requirements and disclosure practices among peer companies, including extensive participation in the implementation of anticipated SEC rules on climate change, cybersecurity and human capital management.
- Provide legal advice regarding compliance with federal and state securities laws and sensitive disclosure issues, including Regulation FD, Regulation G and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Manage process relating to summarizing the contingent liabilities of the company.
- Provide broad support to the Corporate Secretary’s office, including preparation and review of audit committee materials, resolutions and minutes.
- Advise on investor inquiries and otherwise support the Investor Relations function.
- Responsibility for the company’s compliance program for the prevention of insider trading.
- Regularly work with senior officers of the companies.
- Assist with other legal matters in the Section.
- Work with train and mentor staff in the Corporate Governance group.
Qualifications - The essentials
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
- Current member in good standing of the State Bar of California, or willingness and ability to become accredited as such.
- Three (3) to eight (8) years of experience practicing law. Your combined experience can be at a law firm, corporate in-house setting, or government authority.
- Significant relevant legal experience with securities laws, including the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Strategic problem solver with strong analytical ability and business insight to provide legal advice within a business context.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively as part of a team, including the ability to promote positive cooperation within the legal team, with other SCE personnel, and with outside counsel.
- Experience interacting with senior management and non-lawyer clients and customers.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental, social, and governance (ESG) matters.
You should know
- This position’s work mode is hybrid. The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, hiring process, and more!
- The primary work location for this position is Rosemead, CA.
- Relocation may apply to this position.
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833) 343-0727.