OceanX is on a mission to explore the ocean and bring it back to the world. We combine fearless science with compelling storytelling to evoke understanding, passion, and stewardship of the world’s oceans. We unite researchers, scientists, and filmmakers to employ cutting-edge technology to create and share compelling stories – with the intent of making a measurable difference in the way people experience and value the oceans. Our state-of-the-art research vessel, OceanXplorer, enables expeditions into the ocean depths to reveal and document its wonders. The products of our efforts are original scientific research and cutting-edge story-telling that we share globally through various platforms, including digital channels, television series, Giant Screen films, immersive experiences in museums and science centers, and live broadcasts. Some of our prestigious partners include the BBC, National Geographic, James Cameron, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and The American Museum of Natural History.
OceanX Media, the content arm of OceanX, seeks to develop, produce, and distribute content with the aim of educating, inspiring and galvanizing global audiences to learn more about and conserve our oceans. OceanX Media worked with BBC Earth on the nature documentary series Blue Planet II, taking BBC Studios on nine missions that contributed to four episodes of the series. Additionally, a video developed between OceanX and BBC Earth as a part of the series won the Webby Award in Social: Education and Discovery in 2019.
BASIC FUNCTION, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY:
OceanX Media seeks to create high-quality, cutting edge, and inspiring media of the oceans with the aim of educating, inspiring and galvanizing audiences to learn about and conserve the oceans. Broadly speaking, the Associate Producer will provide support to all OceanX productions to ensure their successful development and execution. This role requires enormous creativity and hyper-organization. You must be a passionate non-fiction storyteller and filmmaker with an interest in all aspects of production.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Executive Producer creatively and logistically including editorial research, creating outlines and mood boards, conducting pre-interviews, scheduling shoots, vetting freelance production talent, field production, and media management
- Support the creation and distribution of final post-production deliverables including working with interview transcripts to write scripts and create rough cuts
- Support development of opportunities with new and existing partners
- Ideate and pitch new forms of content and generally drive the OXM team forward creatively
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
Professional Experience & Skills:
- At least 2 years of experience in the industry (e.g., film, TV, journalism, digital), including experience creating short and long-form documentary content, liaising with talent, scripting, and post-production.
- BA/BS degree in relevant field
- Experience with all aspects of documentary production
- Technical literacy with professional cinema cameras, lenses, drones and other production gear
- Ability to work and thrive in an entrepreneurial, rapidly evolving environment, with significant ambiguity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional scripting, storytelling, and communication skills
- Ability to distill and present complicated science to a general audience
- Love of the ocean and the natural world
- High level of creativity
- Ability to work with or interface with all levels of the company
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Learns on the fly
- Knows what s/he doesn’t know, and knowing what to do about it
- Able to multi-task, working in fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates resourcefulness
- Experience on or around boats
- Science background desirable
- Organized and reliable
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional multitasker
Compensation for the Associate Producer includes a competitive salary, and an excellent package of health and other employee benefits.
OceanX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and support an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. OceanX offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities.
All correspondence will remain confidential.