Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive diversity, equity and inclusion.
Forbes is seeking an enterprising, talented journalist who is comfortable with statistics to focus exclusively on legal lists and rankings. For over 40 years, Forbes has set the gold standard for lists, including the Forbes 400 and 30 Under 30. This position will sit within the editorial team and will collaborate with stakeholders across the company, including growth, revenue and SEO.
Location: Must be based in the U.S. Otherwise, no preference.
You will be the central player in building new revenue-generating lists by designing high-quality quantitative and some qualitative methodologies and gathering data, seeking out external partners, using other pre-existing data and/or creating new internal datasets. Once the data is collected, you will lead the editorial process—analysis, reporting, writing and/or assigning and editing highly engaging and smart articles and profiles, collaborating with video, photography, social and more—to create clear, robust and compelling editorial content. You will be the voice and face of the list within the specific industry as well as for general audiences.
Qualifications & Skills
At least 5 years of writing and editing in a digital newsroom. Experience working in business journalism is preferred.
Knowledge, experience and deep sourcing in the legal field.
- Ability to confidently take complicated or large quantities of data and turn into a clean and compelling consumer storyline that includes a list and full editorial package that will appear on- and off-platform as articles, videos, photography, social campaign and more.
- Familiarity with analytics and facility in using a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods, formulas, survey design, and statistical analysis. Highly skilled in working with spreadsheets as well as common business data sources such as Hoovers and Dun & Bradstreet. An ability to tackle design and analytical challenges as they arise plus quality control checks.
- Engaging interpersonal communication skills, with some people leadership experience and demonstrated ability in managing writers, both staff and freelance
- Working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Readiness to work quickly on multiple projects with multiple stakeholders
- Commitment to detail and deadlines with high-level time management and organizational skills, including maintaining an editorial calendar
- Bachelor’s degree required
Forbes aims to offer employees the flexibility they need in order to be successful. We offer a hybrid work schedule for our employees. Some roles may be remote (within the U.S.) if it aligns to the needs of the position. Any employee entering the Forbes office for business or social reasons will need to present proof of full vaccination, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.