Associate Director, Business Development & DevOps Strategy
thoughtbot seeks an Associate Director, Business Development & DevOps Strategy to grow our Mission Control team. We need someone to take ownership of the business development and strategic partnership pipeline. In this role, you will identify, engage, negotiate, and close new business development opportunities and strategic partnerships.
This role needs a person who has a minimum of five years or equivalent experience in business development, growing a DevOps practice, generating new business for a consulting firm, or B2B consulting sales.
This role reports to the CEO with dotted line reporting to the CTO/MD. This is a remote position available to anyone throughout the Americas (UTC-3 through UTC-10).
As Associate Director, Business Development & DevOps Strategy, your primary areas of responsibility are:
- Revenue generation
- Sustainable growth
- Accurate reporting
- Strategic partnerships
- Business development and marketing collaboration
- Process optimization
Salary and benefits vary by location and country. The US base salary range for this role is: $120,000-$155,000. The role includes bonus potential.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
As Associate Director of Business Development & DevOps Strategy, you will:
- Drive a significant portion of the Mission Control revenue;
- Own revenue goals of > $2 million in the first year with incremental revenue growth goals in the following years;
- Generate and maintain active new business pipeline;
- Identify, engage, negotiate, and close new non-inbound business development opportunities;
- Own the inbound lead process from intake to close;
- Work with CTO/MD and Mission Control team to estimate scope and timelines for new business opportunities;
- Partners with other thoughtbot teams to drive cross-team solutions.
- Maintain and exceed all assigned revenue, profitability, and growth targets;
- Work closely with our CEO, COO/CFO, & CTO/MD to develop a strategic view of the evolving marketplace, key attributes of new growth opportunities, and potential opportunities and risks to the business;
- Work closely with business leaders across the agency to develop long-term strategies and inform the business development roadmap.
- Consistently update Freshworks CRM with most accurate data;
- Maintain pipeline forecasts;
- Present forecasts and pipeline status in monthly growth calls and quarterly updates.
- Lead all Mission Control pre-partnership diligence efforts and evaluate value creation opportunities and potential risks in potential partnerships;
- Own, develop, implement, and manage Mission Control’s partnership strategy and partner program, including partnership with AWS.
Business development and marketing collaboration:
- Gather intelligence on competitor activity and distribute insights to the business development and marketing team;
- Work with business development and marketing team on the development of business development strategies, including prioritization by customers and segments, marketing campaigns, event sponsorships, webinars, videos, blog posts, social media, talk tracks, talking points, sales material, decks assets, and contracts.
- Create and optimize processes in order to maintain efficacy;
- Capture optimized process into the agency Handbook as the Mission Control business development playbook.
Your duties and responsibilities will grow and evolve in line with the Mission Control team’s and the agency’s growth.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, and how we work in our Playbook.
thoughtbot Associate Directors, Business Development & DevOps Strategy are able to own, meet, and exceed revenue and target growth goals.
Well-qualified candidates have:
- A minimum of five years or equivalent experience in business development, growing a DevOps practice, generating new business for a consulting firm, or B2B consulting sales;
- Demonstrated experience sourcing, negotiating and executing new business transactions and strategic partnerships;
- Demonstrated experience meeting and exceeding revenue and target growth goals.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have a proven track record of attracting potential customers and experience with consulting, marketing collaboration, accurate reporting, and process optimization.
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.
thoughtbot cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
Our goal is to provide ourselves with the best possible benefits, tools to use, and environments to work in while staying sustainable. We've shared the full details of all our benefits here.
thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.