Assistant Store Manager
Cotopaxi is a carbon neutral certified B Corporation that creates sustainably made outdoor gear designed to fight extreme poverty, inspire adventure, and move people to Do Good. Our Gear for GoodⓇ promise is to make gear that lasts and to have a positive social, environmental, and economic impact. By 2025, we’re committed to using repurposed, recycled, or responsible materials in all of our gear. We also allocate at least 1% of our annual revenue to the Cotopaxi Foundation, which awards grants to nonprofit partners with proven track records of alleviating poverty. Through our Foundation to date, we have reached an estimated 3.5 million individuals living in extreme poverty.
Cotopaxi is a company that values people, innovation, and adventure and our work environment reflects just that. Whether you are working from one of our retail stores, our headquarters, your couch at home, or even your van in the woods, you’ll feel the camaraderie of our amazing team of visionaries, builders and go-getters. We are a team of adventurous, mission-driven people looking to prove that business CAN be a force for good.
What You’ll Do (Job Overview):
This is an incredible opportunity for a leader looking to learn, grow and advance with a fast-growing, mission-driven organization. Whether you're a Assistant Manager looking for a new opportunity to make an impact or a Supervisor looking for their next career step, this is a chance to connect, collaborate and lead an incredible team to deliver an amazing experience for everyone who steps foot in our store.
Our Assistant Manager values both internal and external relationships and they/she/he knows how to foster an environment that welcomes people from all backgrounds no matter what their connection and experience is with the outdoors. At our brick & mortar stores, profit is a byproduct of good conversation. We look to inspire others and have a vision for a world in which business positively impacts society, community, and environment. Not only do you deeply care about making connections, you are adaptable. You can support your team and the store’s needs all the while bringing a level of positivity to every situation. Most importantly, you can guide our retail team through the embodiment of Cotopaxi’s values, leveraging your desire to inspire others and be a part of the Lone Tree community!
How You’ll Do It (Job Responsibilities):
We Do Retail Differently:
- We look to create a customer first culture. We support every customer through their personal journey in the store with intention. We create deeper connections and make impactful moments that humanize the retail experience.
- Community drives us and we want to be a part of the area we reside in. We aspire to be a lifeline and resource!
- We value character and camaraderie. We not only strive to build deeper connections with our customers, but also within our team sharing each other's stories and passions in and out of the store!
The Experiences We Look to Create:
- Create a customer first culture by fostering a fun, engaging environment between Guides and customers.
- Interact with every customer. Say hello, share your experience, and offer your help and expertise.
- Educate customers on products, experiences, local highlights and most importantly, Cotopaxi’s mission.
- Guide customers toward products that will enhance their experience and relationship with the Cotopaxi brand.
- Be the in-house expert on Cotopaxi products and initiatives, and share that knowledge with your Guides.
- Live and inspire the Cotopaxi culture and values of people, impact and adventure.
- Be an ambassador of the Cotopaxi brand throughout your community by getting involved.
- Lead your Guides by example in making memorable experiences for every customer.
- Support the development of your Guides through encouragement, training, productive feedback and annual reviews.
- Grow the herd! Help support management with hiring new Guides and onboarding.
Operations and Expectations:
- Open the store up for business on time and/or close the store down at the end of the day.
- Manage the point of sale system and make sure customers leave happy and satisfied.
- Share the load. Prioritize the store’s needs and delegate accordingly between yourself and your Guides.
- Keep the store spruced and ready for every customer by maintaining the cleanliness of the sales floor and stockroom.
- Partner with the Visual Merchandising Manager to execute new directions and maintain an inviting customer journey.
- Manage inventory levels and support the Store Manager with ordering and receiving.
- Partner with the Store Manager to ensure operational and brand goals are being met.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all customers and Guides!
- Flexibility is key! Have the ability to work a variety of store hours to support your team.
- A scheduling pro - creating a schedule that balances store needs and allows work-life-balance for the team.
- Love numbers? You will help the Store Manager with achieving KPI's, sales goals, payroll and P&L.
- You don’t mind being on their feet and can relatively lift 50lbs and climb a ladder carrying boxes and bags.
- Can happily work throughout the holiday season (including the Friday after Thanksgiving).
Experiences to Highlight (What You Need to Succeed):
Who You Are:
- A people person. Good at gab. You know the kind.
- Active, energetic and enthusiastic.
- You are a leader. You know how to motivate a team and can be a lifeline for others!
- An eye for detail. You're organized and someone who thrives in a start-up minded company.
- Looks at problem solving optimistically and creatively - an out-of-the box thinker.
- Is a team player, but also an all-star at what you do yourself. Takes direction and runs with it.
- A humanitarian at heart, and someone who believes in our Do Good mission.
- 18 years or older and 1 - 3 years of experience in retail, ideally as a lead or supervisor.
- And if you’ve got experience working in the outdoor industry, that’s cool too (but not necessary).
- Our retail channel is growing and evolving, so you’ll be evolving with it, which is why we like to see candidates who show a strong capacity for collaboration, creative-thinking, and adaptability.
The Perks (Job Benefits):
We deeply care about our employees and are proud of our commitment and investment in our team. We prioritize wages and benefits and always keep the employee experience in mind as we work to create a quality work-life balance for everyone.
This position is $22.50/hour with potential to earn up to an additional $2/hour bi-weekly bonus.
Here is a snapshot of the benefits we provide:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Company paid basic life insurance.
- Company paid short-term disability coverage.
- Company paid life assistance program, with the election of medical coverage.
- Company paid mental health benefits.
- Company paid volunteer time.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- 15 PTO days per year.
- 60% off Cotopaxi products.
- Additional outdoor/adventure/lifestyle brand discounts.
- $1,000 stipend after 18 months for bucket list adventure.
- $5,000 stipend after 5 years for bucket list adventure.
- Bi-annual company-wide outings and regular virtual/in-person celebrations.
- A fun, caring and empowering company culture!
As a mission-driven brand, Cotopaxi is not only hyper aware of but also deeply invested in putting people first and paving the way as a humanitarian brand. We welcome, embrace and celebrate all people regardless of gender, age, race, disability, nationality, ethnicity, faith, or sexual orientation. We believe in Doing Good, and how we’re involved with that has no limits.
No matter what experience you have within the outdoor industry we encourage you to apply. At Cotopaxi we believe that experience comes from a variety of places. We look for individuals who thrive on challenges, are passionate about doing good, and believe that collaboration and radical candor are necessary for success. Show us how your experiences have shaped you and how you can contribute to Cotopaxi in our mission to Do Good. We can’t wait for you to share with us your personal story!