Assistant General Counsel
FILA USA has a rare opportunity for an individual to join their Legal Team as Assistant General Counsel. It's an exciting time to become part of the FILA family. The successful candidate will be General Counsel's "right hand" and must be able to jump in immediately and make a difference! You will advise on a broad range of legal matters and compliance activity. This includes drafting and analyzing contracts, responding to a wide range of business related questions, and advising the General Counsel and the Executive Management Team. Excellent contract drafting and stellar negotiation skills are "must haves" for the selected candidate. Prior in-house experience a strong plus. Don't delay and apply quickly to join the legacy of FILA.
Successful applicants for employment with FILA USA must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for medical or religious accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or a vaccine that has been approved by WHO (AstraZeneca, etc.).
All new hires are required to provide proof of vaccination by their first day of employment.
This is a hybrid position out of the NYC office.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Anticipate and identify issues and risks, recommending potential solutions, and identifying trends relating to corporate law, regulatory matters, intellectual property, licensing, employment law, technology, privacy and data protection, advertising and promotions, real estate, direct to consumer and wholesale lines of business etc.
- Structure, negotiate, draft and close a wide range of agreements for internal client groups including Marketing, Credit, Sales, Apparel, Footwear, Ecommerce, Retail, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Logistics.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Company’s commercial contracts to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements.
- Support corporate governance and related compliance matters, such as drafting board resolutions, including acting as Assistant Secretary.
- Anticipate, identify, and develop practical, commercially-oriented solutions with respect to a variety of legal and business issues.
- Assist General Counsel in managing litigation and other disputes involving the Company with ability to drive practical and strategic decisions.
- Primary internal privacy law expert.
- Develop and operationalize policies, training, templates and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Consult with and oversee work by outside counsel.
- Research and advise on legal issues impacting the organization
- Develop and maintain expert current knowledge on new developments and legal guidance relevant to the Company’s business.
- Assist with other matters and projects as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must be a self-starter, highly motivated, possess a strong work ethic and able to function independently in “hands-on” environment.
- Able to independently draft and negotiate contracts to completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member and be able to interact effectively with individuals at all levels inside and outside the company.
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines in a timely manner
- Ability think critically and analyze problems to find creative and practical solutions that balance legal requirements with business objectives
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in a straight forward manner
- Knowledge of regulatory matters relating to consumer products
- Demonstrated ability to think and act globally and strategically, and to appreciate regional interests while doing so.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written skills and proven track record in managing and influencing internal client relationships and relationships with customers, vendors and partners.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Displays an intellectual curiosity for the business and is able to quickly earn the trust and respect of internal and external clients.
- Desire and capacity to learn and teach.
- Juris Doctorate required.
- Admission to New York state bar and active license to practice law required.
- 8 plus years of corporate/commercial and technology law based legal work in a law firm or in-house position.
- Must demonstrate a proficiency with the following PC software (MS Office Suite including: MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience in luxury/retail/fashion a plus.