Assistant General Counsel
The Assistant General Counsel - Privacy is responsible for overseeing the compliance of Chipotle’s business operations with privacy-related laws and regulations, including the development, implementation, and maintenance of privacy-related policies and procedures; provide oversight to the BI and IT departments, Marketing department, Internal Audit and others, to ensure effectiveness of Chipotle’s privacy policies and procedures and investigating and tracking of privacy-related incidents; and protecting the privacy rights of Chipotle customers, employees and business partners in compliance with federal, state and international laws.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In addition to following Chipotle’s policies and procedures, principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement strategic and comprehensive privacy policies that minimize risk and ensure compliance with all applicable privacy laws.
- Provide oversight for the BI and IT departments, Marketing department, Internal Audit and other stakeholders, in order to define, develop, implement and maintain policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk and ensure the confidentiality of protected consumer information, paper and/or electronic, across all media types. Ensure privacy forms, policies, standards, and procedures are up to date.
- Develop, maintain, and advise on privacy program elements such as notices, policies, guidelines, procedures, organizational model, training and awareness, cross-border transfer mechanisms, regulatory notifications and approvals, preparation of Works Council communications and assessment, monitoring, and reporting of program metrics
- Assist in the development and oversight of privacy training and communication program for employees, including the communication of legal and industry developments and fostering information privacy awareness.
- Work closely with the compliance and IT functions to coordinate practices and policies and collaborate on company-wide initiatives.
- Prepare periodic reports on the privacy program and compliance to the Legal Department, Executive Leadership Team, and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the privacy incident response process and act as the escalation point of contact within Chipotle for responding to privacy related incidents and inquiries.
- Work with IT, Marketing, People Experience and other departments on the implementation of information security controls for processes and systems that collect or process personal information.
- Facilitate privacy risk assessments and internal and/or external audits of the privacy program; manage and analyze privacy related metrics and reports.
- Co-lead with IT Chipotle’s internal Security and Privacy Committee.
- Monitor changes in global legal and regulatory privacy requirements and implement changes in Chipotle’s global privacy program to ensure continued compliance.
- Consult with the business and other functional areas on aspects of privacy-by-design.
- Oversee the implementation of appropriate contractual terms in third party vendor relationships where personal information is processed, or other privacy considerations are raised
- Liaise with regulatory authorities, outside counsel and other external privacy stakeholders and advisors as required.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TABLE
- JD and qualification to practice in California
- 8 + years of experience
- Deep knowledge and experience with global and country-specific privacy laws, including CCPA, CPRA, GDPR and PIPEDA
- Executive presence and strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Must be able to prepare and present to diverse audiences.
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally, juggle conflicting demands and prioritize deadlines
- Working knowledge of information technology platforms, privacy-related solutions, and records retention practices
- Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge or theories, concepts, practices, and policies with the ability to use them in complex situations across multiple functional areas
- Leadership and expert communication skills to influence, advocate for and drive change and compliance across a global company
- Strong business acumen and practical approach to problem solving is required
CULTIVATING A BETTER WORLD
Food served fast does not have to be a typical fast-food experience. Chipotle has always done things differently, both in and out of our restaurants. We are changing the face of fast food, starting conversations, and directly supporting efforts to shift the future of farming and food. We hope you will join us as we continue to learn, evolve, and shape what comes next on our mission to make better food accessible to everyone.