Assistant General Counsel
We believe the world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today, which is the vision at the heart of our Sustainable in a Generation Plan - one where the planet is healthy, people and pets are thriving, and society is inclusive.
Reporting to the Chief Compliance Officer, this newly created position will play a key role in providing legal leadership for corporate strategy, governance, and assurance activities on a wide range of Sustainability matters across the enterprise, as well as navigating compliance with rapidly evolving laws, regulations and global standards to enable our global business to deliver against its Sustainability commitments.
The role will include close collaboration both with corporate functions and legal and business stakeholders across our business segments around the world.
What are we looking for?
- Law degree from an accredited university in US or EU
- Licensed to practice law in US or EU. Undergraduate/Bachelor’s degree
- 12-15+ years of experience
- Expertise in the area of Global Sustainability, with an emphasis in Environmental areas (e.g., Packaging/Plastic; GHG/Carbon Credits & Offsets, Renewables, Biodiversity, Deforestation, Land Use, etc.);
- Preferred candidate has experience working inhouse at a global organization; establishing/implementing assurance programs; managing mandatory/voluntary reporting activities; and engagement in policy and legal forums.
- Demonstrated effectiveness of working with internal stakeholders, third party experts, NGOs, government and regulatory organizations.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Support enterprise-wide policy setting, oversight and governance related to a broad spectrum of Sustainability issues (Environmental, Social, etc.);
- Engage with corporate and segment stakeholders on development and implementation of both mandatory and voluntary Sustainability-related reporting initiatives;
- Oversee trend analysis and regulatory insights, and track and anticipate evolving global laws and regulations related to Sustainability;
- Implement and oversee assurance programs to verify effective implementation of corporate Sustainability policies and protocols across global business segments;
- Provide day-to-day Sustainability legal advice and counsel to corporate functions (e.g., Sustainability, Corporate Affairs, Finance, etc.) on strategic initiatives and other enterprise projects, with an emphasis on Environmental issues (e.g., Packaging/Plastic; GHG/Carbon Credits & Offsets, Renewables, Biodiversity, Deforestation, Land Use, etc.);
- Develop and deliver training and capacity building for key legal and business personnel with regard toSustainability legal risks;
- Collaborate with business segment-based Sustainability legal resources to ensure effective coordination on policy and protocols, horizon scanning, training, contract provisions, third party risk management and other key initiatives;
- Partner with other members of the Corporate Compliance team on Sustainability issues, including the Assistant General Counsel – Human Rights, as well as other compliance programs (e.g., Antitrust, etc.) where appropriate;
- Seek assistance from and manage external counsel when necessary;
- Support the representation of Mars in external forums, as required.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by the Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.