The Los Angeles Times has an opening for an assistant editor to work with the expanding education team in Metro.
The successful candidate should have a broad interest in K-12 and higher education in California and the transformative importance of schools and colleges in the lives of students. Our team will soon be expanding our coverage to include the stories of young families, care providers and educators navigating early childhood development years.
The assistant editor will work with reporters who cover a wide diversity of stories: how children learn, key trends in education, breaking news, institutional accountability stories, data reporting, narrative features and multi-platform storytelling that brings the voices of students, their teachers and families to life.
The editor can expect to anchor breaking news coverage involving multiple reporters, closely work with a reporter on one big story and guide creative storytelling exploring education through the prism of youth culture. Also, editing assistance in other beat areas will occasionally be needed.
We want to emphasize student and school centered reporting and are looking for an editor who is passionate about helping reporters frame compelling stories about how our massive education system is serving this current generation of California students.
- A minimum of seven years of journalism experience
- Ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisors and the newsroom
- Ability to navigate digital platforms and stay on top of current issues and trends in education
- A sense of excitement around developing ideas and experimenting with different ways to tell a story
- Proven ability to work well in a team setting and juggle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent skills in line editing, combining strong news judgment, fluency in style and understanding the importance of accuracy and precision
- An ethical and inclusive approach in the workplace that promotes collaboration
- Versatility and adaptability, working not just across production platforms but also across the strata of education
The L.A. Times is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes expressions of interest from people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Explore our company history, achievement, values, mission and more on our Careers Site.
This position is classified as Assistant Editor in the Los Angeles Times Guild. Times staff is currently working remotely, but when we return to the newsroom the position will be based in El Segundo, Calif.
The Company is a mandatory vaccination employer for COVID-19 and its variants. The Company requires that its employees be fully vaccinated as of their start date. If you require medical or religious accommodation we will engage in the interactive process with you. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. If we make you an offer and you are not yet vaccinated, we will accommodate a delay in start date.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and samples of editing work/ applicable clips to Deputy Metro Editor Stephanie Chavez. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen and is labeled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.