WSP is currently initiating a search for an Assistant Consultant, Civil Engineer for our Richmond, VA office. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Under general supervision, assist with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the physical work site, surveys, blueprints, GIS data, subsurface utility information, maps, geotechnical data, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Assist with performing basic professional civil engineering work relating to conducting research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, resources, building, infrastructure, and transportation channels to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Perform routine engineering functions and provide entry-level technical assistance on various design requirements, operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality of end-users, systems, and infrastructure.
- Assisting with the preparation of design drawings, regulatory permit documents, and technical specifications related to erosion and sediment control, stormwater management, and other construction-related permits.
- Assist with verifying the characteristics of a site and providing basic technical assistance on various engineering, design, and construction issues.
- Generate complete, accurate, and concise documentation using electronic systems, drawings, and field/work site notebook/logs.
- Performing detailed engineering analyses and models, routine calculations, spreadsheet analyses, AutoCAD design (Civil 3D), etc.
- Assisting in preparing studies, proposals, and other written communications for civil and environmental engineering projects
- Assisting with the development and distribution of field notes, meeting minutes, project action item lists, internal tracking of projects activities, and general project coordination activities in support of project managers.
- Performing field activities either individually or as part of a team, including collection of field data, instrumentation monitoring, observation of construction activities, implementing health and safety procedures, oversight of subcontractor services, and other project-related activities
- Performing field activities related to environmental compliance, stormwater pollution prevention, and erosion and sediment control inspections and reporting; Attend project meetings and regular team meetings, contributing and collaborating to provide effective client solutions and high-level team performance
- Comply with safety guidelines and site-specific procedures which include but are not limited to, location data, statistical documentation, engineering studies and surveys, and construction.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline from an accredited program.
- 0 to 1 years of relevant post education experience.
- Excellent research skills with analytical mindset.
- Familiarity with process and concepts for design/build.
- Familiarity with relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Must successfully complete and pass WSP's Motor Vehicle screening
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Required travel up to 25% depending on project-specific requirements.
- Willingness to perform field assignments under varying weather conditions and terrains and fitness for field duty.
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Familiarity with discipline-specific design software (i.e., MicroStation, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS, InRoads, Geopak, GeoSlope, ANSYS, STADD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, ESRI,).
- Prior internship related to the degree of study and the specific engineering discipline.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.