The Art Director will play a key role in developing the visual language across the WIRED brand. The Art Director is an experienced multidisciplinary designer who is able to design across a wide range of platforms including the print magazine, website, social channels, video, and more. This person will be an energetic self-starter who enjoys imagining exciting ways to tell stories while discovering and maintaining a roster of inclusive diverse talent. They should be able to lead and participate in brainstorming conceptual solutions for complicated subject matter and feel comfortable working in a group setting.
This role reports to the Creative Director of WIRED.
- Work with the creative director and editorial team to develop design and strategy for WIRED
- Create artwork for daily web stories in collaboration with the design director, photo team and editors.
- Work closely with editors and illustrators/artists to create compelling artwork for longform stories.
- Work closely with the creative director and design team on layouts and art direction for the print magazine.
- Create and present design solutions and deliverables from concept to launch across all platforms.
- Oversee brand guidelines and maintain design quality for all initiatives.
- Commission original artwork (including illustrations, infographics, icons, and animations) where needed
- Help manage workflow for all creative projects
- Collaborate with design, sales, editorial, photo, web, social, and video teams to ensure the highest level of visual execution across all platforms
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- 5+ years designing in print and digital, with experience in translating brand systems across all platforms.
- At least 2 years experience in a deadline-driven environment, such as an editorial newsroom or agency.
- An exceptional portfolio of work showcasing design capabilities spanning print, digital/mobile, and social platforms.
- Ability to seek out unique talent for commissioned assignments and an interest in researching emerging art styles and discovering new/untapped creators.
- A self starter with the ability to multitask and organize the demands of day to day and ongoing projects.
- Strong typography skills, and a solid understanding of layout/composition.
- Effective communicator, comfortable collaborating in a team environment, offering and receiving design critique.
- Expert knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite. Specifically Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. After Effects a plus.
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS and JQuery a plus.
The Art Director role is a full-time Condé Nast staff position and is based at WIRED’s headquarters in San Francisco. Please submit a résumé, cover letter, and portfolio .
Base Pay Range: $95,000 - $160,000
What happens next?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below, and we will review your application as soon as possible. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.