The Art Director, E-Commerce ensures the successful execution of the final image edit and image file preparation for Anthropologie e-commerce product web imagery, according to creative standards. The Art Director is the key global point person for communicating E-commerce image standards and guidelines related to lighting, posing, processing, cropping, editing and set design. A key area of responsibility includes managing the process for the “lead image / Face out” for each product on the website and assuring proper image preparation and the passing of final approved image edits to the Post Production Team for retouching. Responsible for developing guidelines and ongoing direction for e-commerce product imagery and studio marketing assets with the guidance of the Creative and Art Direction team. Works closely with the Senior Art Director, and Post Production Manager and teams in maintaining consistency in web imagery through to the final customer-facing uploaded image.
- Under the guidance of Senior Art Director, create and contribute to in-depth guidelines in printed and digital format for E-commerce standards as applied to lighting, set design, color processing, image sizing, and cropping.
- Be the key point person for the EU studio team to explain e-commerce art direction as it relates to imagery editing, lighting, processing, cropping and background choices. Conduct regular meetings to ensure EU team is up-to-speed on latest e-commerce direction and to problem solve any questions form the overseas team as they arise.
- Work collaboratively with Creative Director, Art Director and Photographers to innovate new concepts and ideas related to lighting, background choices, color processing, cropping and equipment needs for both flat and on figure imagery.
- Regularly test new ideas with studio team and prepare presentations of options for updating art direction for e-commerce on a seasonal or as-needed basis.
- Participate in the direction and execution of studio-based editorial marketing image creation. This includes choice of lighting, set environment, processing, and image editing.
- While on set, work closely with the directors, photographers, and stylists to ensure image selects follow the standards of model posing, crops, image sequence, and photo set environment.
- Generate PDF of lead images after each shoot session, and circulate to Studio Manager, Art Director, Lead Stylist and Creative Director(s) for immediate review and approvals.
- Review contact sheets of each shoot session for styling feedback and edits, and provide new image options or solutions with the goal of avoiding errors before they go live in “New Arrivals and email Blasts”
- Action image editing feedback for each session, choosing alternate images, conveying post-production notes, lighting, and processing adjustments, and reshoots to applicable team members via the feedback process and server systems.
- Communicate final image edit handover to retouching team and maintain a strong working relationship with post-production to resolve any issues.
- Work with stylists and photographers on daily workflow challenges and priorities to ensure the images are delivered by deadlines and met daily shot counts.
- Manage the team’s daily workflow by communicating daily, providing solutions to challenges as they arise, and escalating any issues to Senior Art Director, or Creative Director.
- Identify talent and develop leadership amongst digital techs and freelance teams. Coach and mentor young talent and create opportunities for skill development and increased responsibilities and roles.
- Understanding of the “on-set” experience and working with a team, including photographer and art director, to create the best possible image.
- Enthusiastic personality in dealing with models and outside talent on-set; eager to form strong relationships with photographers and art directors, and Creative Director.
- Proven experience in a high volume, demanding e-commerce environment.
- Ability to develop systems and processes, and demonstrates a methodical approach as the role requires facilitating existing processes and devising new ways of working to ensure smooth workflows and image management.
- Great communicator, and is comfortable with inter-departmental collaboration.
- Strong leadership, pro-active attitude and exacting eye for detail are fundamental.
- 2 years + experience in photography, studio management or Art Direction in a high-pressure photo shoot setting.
- Experience leading an on-set team and managing others.
- Expert knowledge of Capture One, all Canon systems, InDesign, Excel and Photoshop, and some knowledge of shooting film, in studio and on location.
- Ability to recognize current as well as up and coming photography trends and to translate them in a way that appeals to the Anthropologie and e-commerce setting.
- Expert ability to work with the latest lighting equipment, digital photography equipment, and applicable image processing programs.