Refinery29 is seeking a creative Art Director to concept and design smart, visually arresting artwork and layouts. They will maintain and advance the Refinery29 visual brand. Responsible for enforcing brand guidelines across departments, working on both editorial and branded content, and continuously exploring new ways to enhance those guidelines. The candidate must have extensive knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator), Figma, Sketch, Google apps, etc.. The candidate must have xperience empowering, managing, mentoring, and developing designers. Along with excellent leadership skills
In the short term…
- Manage the quality and approve design for a range of creative work (homepage, mobile, new emerging platforms, and global sites).
After 6 months in this role...
- Manage the Design team’s operations in close collaboration with the Design Director, Senior Executive Director, Photo & Design, and Design Coordinator.
- Manage, mentor, and direct internal and external designers; taking responsibility for the completion of projects.
And after a year…
- Educate and facilitate new processes, workflows, and templates across the CMS for the Design and Editorial teams.
- Foster open collaboration with all editorial, branded content, and photo leads.
- Work closely with the Design Coordinator to assist in assigning design projects when needed.
- Work closely with third party illustrators and provide art direction.
- Make sure that the design team and freelance contributors are delivering projects according to the initial specs and requirements.
- Art direct motion design from storyboarding through animation.
- Support the Design Coordinator in managing the planning and logistics of a project including timelines and team’s resources.
You have these:
- 4+ years graphic design and art direction experience with an established digital company or online media publication Bachelor's Degree in social media, journalism, marketing & communications or related field or commensurate experience.
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure and handle multiple projects at the same time
- A strong balance of identity design, typography, layout skills.
- Comfortable with collaborating and sharing feedback in a remote setting with online tools such as Figma/Sketch and Google Slides.
- Ability to understand the scope and needs of a project or campaign, and to execute at a high level.
- Immersed and knowledgeable in design culture, past and present.
We’d love if you also have these:
- Ability to animate is a plus.
- An open, positive and collaborative communication style.
- Ability to collaborate and contribute to a team effort but also to work independently to deliver on individual responsibilities.
- A proactive, solutions-oriented mentality.
- Ability to build strong relationships across teams and departments.
- Ability to lead, present and communicate creative vision across multiple departments and stakeholders.
Working at VICE:
We want to find people who believe in our mission and goals and feel inspired to grow while they’re here, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got.
VICE Media Group prioritizes the voices, ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE.
In alignment with our Core Behaviors and to ensure the safety of all of our employees and the communities we serve, we require all incoming employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination, which will be kept confidential. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know by contacting Accommodations@vice.com. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
VICE Media (VICE.com, VICE Studios, VICE TV, Virtue, VICE News, Refinery29, PULSE Films, i-D) is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual, and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique, and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado.