Living Proof is seeking an Analytical Chemist to join the R&D Research team and lead hands-on projects and facilitate cross-functional team interactions among a diverse group of scientists. Responsibilities will include developing new GC/MS and HPLC assays, performing method validations, investigating complex analytical problems, and supporting quality activities. This is a full-time position based in Boston, MA and will report to the Director of Research.
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team to analytically support the research and development of new hair care technologies and products.
- Develop and validate new methods to analyze new materials in complex cosmetic formulations
- Routinely operate, troubleshoot, and maintain GC/MS, HPLC, GPC, FTIR, Raman and other instrumentation
- Author and review analytical test methods, validation reports, standard operating procedures, and technical reports
- Interpret MS, spectroscopic and chromatographic data and generate technical reports.
- Develop and manage relations with external CRO’s.
- Lead QA/QC activities related to production batch release and method transfer as needed.
- Collaborate with Product Development and Innovation teams to recommend, design, and execute laboratory-based tests to characterize product performance benefits to support Brand Marketing in the creation of ownable claims, content, and category leading product positioning.
- Support the Research and Innovation teams in establishing appropriate experiments to establish POC (Proof-of Concept) and POP (Proof-of-Performance) for new technologies.
- Identify technical techniques on new and existing products to establish a clear scientific mode-of-action that builds into strong product concepts and claims.
- Communicate and present program updates and technical data within cross-functional internal and external project team environment.
- MS/PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or closely related field.
- Minimum of three years of relevant analytical experience (i.e. method development, instrument troubleshooting).
- Hair care or related beauty industry experience highly preferred.
Skills and Experience
- Significant hands-on experience with HPLC and/or GC/MS, including instrument maintenance, method development, method validation, and quantitation activities.
- Experience analyzing polymers, hair, and/or proteins by GPC or other methods.
- Practical work on analyzing and preparing complex sample matrices including in emulsions, gels, waxes, and aerosols.
- In-depth knowledge of FTIR and Raman data interpretation, processing and chemometric modeling.
- Strong knowledge and experience with data analysis and statistical software such as JMP.
- Experience with Agilent ChemStation or MassHunter software.
- Experience working in a GMP/GLP/ISO9001 environment, and knowledge of relevant regulatory guidelines (FDA, ICH, ISO, REACH, etc.).
- Demonstrated passion, curiosity, and creativity regarding upstream innovation opportunities and downstream new product development claims support.
- Proved track record of thinking out-of-box with regards problem solving.
- Self-starter with proven ability to effectively lead all technical aspects of projects, manage risk, execute tasks within defined program timelines and work independently with limited oversight.
- Experience with claims substantiation and development of technical techniques to measure performance attributes of raw material actives or finished products. (preferred)
- Exhibit excellent organization, planning and multi-tasking skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal, written/verbal and presentation skills.
Please note that a COVID vaccination is a term of employment for Living Proof and thus required. No offers will be extended until proof of vaccination is provided.
Diversity is a core value at Living Proof. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all employees. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.