Analyst, Tax Compliance
At Cheniere, we provide the world with safe, reliable energy. But more than that, we provide opportunities for our talented employees to impact their communities every day. Our diversity is key to our continued success and forges a path where our culture supports greater equity and inclusion for our employees, customers and beyond.
The Analyst, Tax Compliance reports to the Manager, Income Tax Compliance and is responsible for the preparation of federal and state income tax returns which are co-sourced with a big four accounting firm. Preferred candidate will have 1-3 years of experience in the preparation of federal and state income tax returns.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Assist with the consolidated corporate tax return compliance process (federal and state) via a co-sourced big four accounting firm arrangement, including reviewing tax returns, gathering information, and preparing/reviewing supporting workpapers
- Prepare U.S. international tax compliance workpapers including 8858s and 1118s
- Prepare state income and franchise tax workpapers and state apportionment calculations
- Responsible for all aspects of fixed asset tax depreciation calculated in PowerTax including loading additions and retirements, allocating book-tax differences to individual assets, creating new asset classes, researching appropriate depreciation methods, compiling and analyzing data using Alteryx workflows, reconciling book and tax basis, SOX documentation, etc.
- Review book-tax differences to identify potential return to provision adjustments
- Assist with 1099 and 1042 compliance including working with third party service provider to validate and correct forms W-8 and W-9
- Respond to notices and information requests issued by various taxing authorities
- Support process improvement and automation initiatives to streamline and increase efficiencies
- Assist with federal and state tax research as needed
- Assist with other miscellaneous projects and tasks as needed
- The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time; or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands
- General knowledge of tax laws and principles
- Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Oracle, Hyperion, PowerTax, Alteryx and SharePoint a plus
- Able to quickly become proficient at new systems and technology
- Able to quickly adapt to and understand new ideas, concepts, and processes
- Emphasis on attention to detail and effective organization skills
- Willingness and ability to learn independently
- Able to manage multiple tasks and demands with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Education, Training and Certifications: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting with active CPA certification or currently working towards certification.
Experience: 1-3 years of professional Tax experience, including preparation of federal and state income tax returns.
FREEDOM TO ACT
Ability to multi-task and function in a highly dynamic atmosphere; must exercise discretion independently.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment, but is subject to time pressures and constraints, and is also dependent on input from others
- Occasionally, work may be performed from home, after normal work hours or on weekends
- May be required to work overtime.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee's performance due to physical or mental disability.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Cheniere Energy is an equal opportunity workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.