This position is responsible for motor fuel tax return preparation as well as data analysis and general ledger reconciliations. This department supports the partnership’s key objectives with the highest standards of conduct without compromise. Honesty, integrity and accountability are essential to our Partnership’s success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual excise/motor fuel returns for submittal to federal & state agencies
- Prepare wires and check requests for payment of taxes and code to correct general ledger accounts
- Preparation of reconciliations of excise & motor fuel tax related accounts;
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local authorities through communicating changes in taxes for proper adjustment to ERP system, reviewing ongoing developments in tax laws
- Consolidate return reconciliations on a quarterly basis and upload to SaaS reconciliation software
- Monitors account activity for changes in rates, purchases, accruals, etc., and uses reason to provide written explanations of variances
- Uses discretion to scrutinize accounting records for unusual/extraordinary transactions, investigate findings and provide resolution
- Maintain and update compliance due date report for SOX compliance purposes;
- Respond to inquiries from accounts payable regarding the appropriate excise tax treatment of items
- Register entities in new taxing jurisdictions, as required
- Provide training to A/P office and field personnel to insure proper tax accruals;
- Assist during examinations by federal or state auditors;
- Initiates, documents, files and tracks excise tax refund requests;
- Maintain all compliance records in accordance with document retention policies; and
- Research tax issues and work on special projects as needed.
Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements for this position are listed below:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field
- 2+ years of experience in multi-state excise tax and/or motor fuel tax matters, preferably in the same or similar industry
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required
- Knowledge of SAP and a tax software solution (like IGEN, Avalara/Zytax, OneSource/Sabrix, Tax Ware, and Vertex) is preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required because of interactions both inside and outside of the tax department
- Proficiency in analyzing and reconciling accounts and preparing journal entries
- Experience performing tax research using tax services such as CCH, RIA, BNA, etc
- CPA or CMI candidate preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Usually, normal office working conditions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time due to prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Occasional visits to industrial/manufacturing settings, which may include exposure to various materials and chemicals, as well as extreme temperature conditions and loud machinery, and require appropriate personal protective equipment.